Sign in to follow this  

Unity MS VisualStudio Offline help not complete?

This topic is 4419 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i just excanged my old IDE (C++Builder) to the free MS Visual C++ 2005 ExpressEdition (full img-download) and tried to figure out, how to work with it. now i got 2 problems: its easy to generate a WinApp. forms, buttons ect. but when i enter a source snipped (i.e. code to be executed when a button is pressed) the IDE tells me to put it into the "form.h". isn't code supposed to go into the "form.cpp" or whatever? and the headers to be inside the header-file? second: how can i update the offline help? i know there is always the online-help and it is more up to date ect. but if my i-net gots down or i want to use the help on a non-connected PC? i get annoying errors to, when using the local-part of the help:
The information you are trying to access could not be found. Various events could have caused this error.

You have chosen to use local Help only for Search and F1 results, and the topic could not be found in local Help.
This error can be caused when local Help has not been installed or only a subset of local Help was installed.

To correct this error
On the Tools menu, click Options.

Expand Help and then click Online.

In When loading Help content, select Try local first, then online.

In Search these providers, verify that MSDN Online or Codezone Community is selected.

Click OK and then try to access Help again.

You have chosen to use a mix of online and local Help for Search and F1 results, but online Help is not available.
This error can be caused when the information you are attempting to access can only be found online, but online Help is not available.

To correct this error
Verify that you have an active connection to the Internet.

—or—

If you connect to the Internet using a proxy server, verify that the proxy server is functioning properly.

A cross-reference link in the body of a topic is broken.
This error can be caused when a link refers to a topic that no longer exists or refers to a topic that has changed locations. This error can also be caused when a link refers to a topic that was not included in local Help for your product edition. For example, Express Editions frequently install a subset of Help so that topics that do not apply to Express Edition features are excluded from Help.

To correct this error
Try searching for the topic using the Search page or Index window.

For more information, see Full-Text Search Tips and Index Search Tips.

Help is not installed.
Additional links to information might appear below:

Topic Location 
Installation Information Microsoft Document Explorer 

To correct this error
Install Help. 

Note  
Installation instructions will vary based on which product installed Help. 

If available, in the Options dialog box select the Try online first, then local option to specify that Help display topics located on the Internet rather than topics installed on your computer. 

help is installed (the link providet isn't usefull either ^^) fulltext-search finds the file online but not locally and i already reset the help to full "local first, then online" and all the sources on the dumb thing is, the page i tried to open locally is accessible through the online-help if i manually locate it or via search function. but VS doesn't keep the files it downloaded. me thinks: no wonder i don't like MS products. it's mutual... can anybody help me?

You aren't required to put code in cpp files. Putting the code in the class declaration automatically inlines it in native C++, for example. In managed it seems that the automatic method creator wants you to put it in the class declaration as well.

You don't have to.

When it adds, say:

class Form1
{
private: void MyControl_OnResize(Object^ obj, EventArgs^ e)
{
//TODO: Stuff
}
};

just remove the body of the function, and create a Form1.cpp and do:

void Form1::MyControl_OnResize(Object^ obj, EventArgs^ e)
{
//TODO: Stuff
}

Microsoft simply recommends you leave it in the prior form. Why? I guess it's less files.

I've never had any trouble with the help files, personally. You sure you don't have any filters or anything?

first: thanks for the reply

second: stupid MS for 'breaking' (or bending) (C++)standards... again

third: i first hat ZoneLabs lock out net-access for VS, and deactivated any online-ressources in the help-options. accidently i had "Local help" switched off for "search in providers" too. help worked until i stumbled across the missing help-page. (Help -> How do I -> Windows Applications -> Code for Windows Form Applications aka "the missing file")
then i released any locks and set the help-options back to "every thing on", but the pages remain only accessible through the msdn-page.
as of filters, the language filter is set to C++, since i don't need help on VBasic, C# or Java. haven't seen any other filters yet.

Quote:
Original post by ghostbear77

I'm fairly certain you're working in Managed C++, which already breaks with the standards by providing interface, sealed, abstract, ref, value, ^ as a handle, % to get handle, only supporting single inheritance except from interfaces, etc. It's my understanding that the method they want you to use is more like the other .net languages.
Quote:
as of filters, the language filter is set to C++, since i don't need help on VBasic, C# or Java. haven't seen any other filters yet.

I recall (my dev computer is in the process of being restored from backups atm) there being filters on which libraries to search as well.

But it seems you're just missing a help file, or the link isn't right. I've never used "How Do I" so I don't know.

Quote:

It's not that they are 'breaking' the standard at all. If you are using Managed C++, that is more or less a new language built on top of C++ with added functionality. It isn't meant to be compliant to the C++ standard, its just meant to possibly shorten development times. If you want normal standard compliant C++ than you can use that with their compiler too, you just lose the added features introduced into the Managed C++ language. I don't think you can use straight C++ for Windows Forms coding though, I think you are stuck with Managed C++, or C# or another .NET language. If you aren't using Managed C++, then I'm not sure what you are refering to with MS 'breaking C++ standards.' If it is the fact that they seem to want yout to implement class member functions in the header instead of a seperate .cpp file, then that is perfectly legal by the C++ standard. You can always define a class along with all it's member functions in the header, providing you implement the members within the class definition. I know it is fashionable to always hate Microsoft, but in this case it isn't really a just criticism.

i already wondered about the ^ ...

MS: "do it our way or dont do it at all"

the CBuilder had none of the fancy stuff like "managed" C++ and could build WindowForms quite well. guess it would be easier just to upgrade it with BCC5.5 and drop VS again.

it's not that i hate MS, i just don't like their attitude and the way we are (i am) forced to use their products. there is not always an alternative. *sigh* less complaining, more problem solving and programming ;)

Quote:

the CBuilder had none of the fancy stuff like "managed" C++ and could build WindowForms quite well. guess it would be easier just to upgrade it with BCC5.5 and drop VS again.

You're using the express edition, the scaled down edition with the bare necessities. I can't speak to wether the standard has a form builder for native use, but it's not all that surprising that the express edition is limiting.

Quote:
Original post by Dranith
I don't think you can use straight C++ for Windows Forms coding though, I think you are stuck with Managed C++, or C# or another .NET language.

You can, they used to do it with MFC. They've since dropped MFC because it was... yeah. But you can still build forms with C++ using the platform sdk apis. It's just... difficult to make dialog boxes without a form builder. Making forms is easy enough, you just use CreateWindow for all the controls, but dialog boxes must be "predefined" (more or less), and the platform help for building dialog boxes is shoddy at best. Form builders make it a lot easier.

Quote:
i already wondered about the ^ ...

No, "do it our way or do it your own way." Regular C++ is still usable (in the same IDE). Don't immediately assume that your problems stem from MS being evil.

[Edited by - Sneftel on November 12, 2005 8:10:47 PM]

This topic is 4419 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.