Creating a file format to import/export in 3d studio max

Started by
4 comments, last by bzroom 18 years, 5 months ago
I recall people saying that it is quite easy to do so in max, but I can’t seem to find the information I need to do so. I’ve google’d around with not much luck. Is there any one who could give me a few hints (like is it done via max script?) or point me to a good resource? Thanks.
Advertisement

I'm pritty sure there is an SDK you can find or buy. And it will give you documentation on creating a dll to intigrate with the main program.

Try here.
My google fu is really weak, i guess. I can't seem to find the SDK (as a free download or for purchase). Is this something that should have come with our license to max?

Check the 3dsmax\MaxSDK\ folder of your Max installation.
It might be that it doesn't install on default though, so you might have to make sure you enable it when installing Max.

Then there is a project named ASCIIExp, which most people use as a starting point for their exporters.

You can also use the IGame interface, which makes it easier to extract the data you most likely want for your games.
Thanks, ill go back and make sure it's selected when installing.
Yea from the little I read in those links it seemed like 3DS Max provides a "template" project to start you off with the tools to do the plugin. Just copy it to a project folder and modify it for your specific needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement