Music in arcade style shooters (Doom, Quake, UT, etc.)

Started by
4 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 18 years, 5 months ago
What ways of playing music do you prefer when playing an arcade style shooter (Doom, Quake, UT, etc.)? This is more a kind of poll, but suggestions are welcome. - Play a different music track for each map. (designer can choose the music that goes best with the type of gameplay in a specific map) - Play tracks randomly (or in order) from a directory. (allows the user to add tracks himself or remove tracks he/she doesn't like) - Don't play any music at all, I use Winamp when I want to hear music. (saves a lot of work in the game, but.. yea.. no music) - Other. Suggestions? EDIT: I forgot to mention it's about multiplayer (deathmatch, ctf, etc.), NOT singleplayer :) [Edited by - CodeImp on November 15, 2005 11:08:10 AM]
Kind regards,
Pascal van der Heiden

CodeImp - My trademark and website
Advertisement
Doom 3 is all about atmosphere (graphics is part of atmosphere), so the first option is best for this kind of games, since appropriate music is the most important thing in building atmosphere)

In more rhythmical games, like UT, the second option is better. The music is not as important as in games like Doom or apical games, so let it be random.
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Ok, I forgot to mention it's multiplayer (deathmatch, ctf, etc.), NOT singleplayer :)
Kind regards,
Pascal van der Heiden

CodeImp - My trademark and website
I really don't like music in action games. Especially if it's multiplayer. To me, it detracts from my concentration on the sounds of the game. It's annoying if I'm trying to listen for gunshots and such and I hear music.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I'd say it totally depends on what game it is
for a mp-game where the focus is to move around guns blazing, jumping, fraging and picking up hp-boxes all the time some adrenaline-pumping music would be good. For any other mp-game there should be music that fits the world. Club music in a club, street noise in the streets etc.

For the record, a sp-game should IMHO only contain adrenaline-pumping music from time to time(ala hl) or some other music if it fits the gam(like the radio in gta).
I think the best thing would be if you could dynamically match the music to the gameplay, similar to how a film composer choreographs the score to the action in the film. An awful lot of work though [wink]...

Otherwise I agree with someboddy; for single-player games it's best to try and compose appropriate music for the theme. For multiplayer games (such as UT), I like the solution they have of having a specified track for each level, but allowing the player to use a jukebox interface to replace it with their own tracks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement