What are you ? NVidia or ATI person?

Started by
50 comments, last by sanguineraven 18 years, 5 months ago
I have both, but I like nVid better for Digital Vibrance, ATI has better prices normaly, so I would get them next time they have DV
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by HelplessFool
Quote:Original post by phantom
Quote:Original post by robinei
One thing that annoys me is that NWN is practically unplayable on my ATI card. It's actually slower than on my old GeForce Ti4200, but that could be Bioware's fault.

Thats down to the shadows used i believe, ATI's hardware doesnt allow you to render directly to a depth buffer or even to a pbuffer as a depth only buffer.
It shouldnt really be THAT much slower, but it does require an extra copy on ATI hardware. I guess thats a problem at Bioware's end...

Maybe NWN2 will have an updated gfx engine which will solve that problem [grin]

thats odd that he has trouble, because i have a 9800 also and i never had a single problem playing NWN. my friends didn't either.

Hell, I have a 8500LE and it plays quite fine, so something is obviously wrong.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by Fruny
I have two computers. One has an ATI card, the other has an NVidia card.

Where does that leave me?

Ripped in half by wolves ? Like that family...

Or in a Superposition of Loyalties? Nobody has measured your brand loyalty, thus it is not yet collapsed into a daignolized Matrix of Loyal Love, it seems.
ATi, ever since NVIDIA released the FX generation. What they did as a company during the FX generation really made me dislike them a lot. I also like the ATi monthly driver updates instead of having to go around finding BETA drivers for NVIDIA cards (which usually break one thing to make something else run faster).

That isn't to say I will never buy any cards from NVIDIA, I have a 6600 Go in my laptop for example but as a company I dont like them.

I'm really an S3 person. I have the CLE266 IGP Chipset in my VIA mobo. That thing is AMAZING! I can play HL and Starcraft perfectly well! I can't wait to get one of thier PCIe cards!
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Nvidia and AMD are my favored companies. I've tried a few ATI cards (9500 pro, 9600 pro), and while they were great, I still prefer nvidia. I actually owned a little stock in each for while, but I sold it because I know nothing about the stock market. Silly me, what was I thinking buying stocks. :)
NVIDIA FOR LIFE!!!
Quote:Original post by MetaKnight
I have both, but I like nVid better for Digital Vibrance, ATI has better prices normaly, so I would get them next time they have DV

Never seen the point of DV.. just looks like it washes the colours out to me (GF3 was when I used it last), where as stock ATI colours look fine.. *shrugs*
nVidia. Once again main reason due to being a linux guy.

My PC began life with an ATI 9800Pro, but that card died within a week, that left me unhappy and irate. It now has an nVidia GF6600GT.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
As game developers we should REALLY avoid this camp! ATI vs NVIDIA wars makes your games only work well on one of the two. We really can't afford to be doing that.

As a developer, there are cards on both sides that I hate, and cards on both sides that I enjoy. I truly wish they had delayed the whole fx 5000 line on the NVIDIA side until they actually had a reasonable performance with ps2.0. That is one ugly thorn in my side (please make the fx 5200 go away... maybe the 5600 too).

On ATI side, that X300 is pure junk. I'm not certain the X600 is any better. Performance for TnL isn't bad, but things really start getting buggy once you throw in a reasonable amount of shader usage.

ATI now has support for 3.0 shaders in its x1000 line (x1800, etc), so both sides now support that.

At home I have an ATI 9700pro, 9800pro, x700pro and x800xt (as well as an ancient 3dfx 3000 for testing). Like I said, that fx 5000 line was nasty - if my software doesn't run that well on it, that hurts but I can only do so much. At work I have x800pro, 6600gt - boss uses 6800 ultra - other developers use a mix of ati and nvidia (and of course we have the stupid x300, x600, and fx 5200 for compatibility testing - what a nightmare).

The point is to get your software to work on both as well as you can. I am thrilled that there are two big contenders; keeps each other on their toes, and unable to rest on ancient technology!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement