• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Timberl

VC++ cannot include windows.h (Visual Studio Express)

This topic is 4872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have just started using VC++ for the first time, bizarrely, cannot seem to include windows.h from VC++ (visual studio 2005 express edition)
#include <windows.h> 

using namespace System;

int main( array<System::String ^> ^args )
{
    return 0;
}

when I 'build solution' it says:
Quote:
fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
I thought this would one of the files that would definitely be included in any VC++ project. I've very little expreince with the vs/vc++ ide and cannot even figure out how to include a .lib file, so please spell things out to me. I'm trying to get this file because I want to use ::LoadLibrary( ) - which I think is defined in windows.h thx

Advertisement
MSVC .NET 2005 Express Edition doesn't come with the Platform SDK. You need to install that seperately (and then mess with a few settings to get MSVC to recognize it). The instructions for doing so should be on the MSVC .NET 2005 Express Edition download page.

Hi bud,

First you should check what directories Visual Studio is looking in.

Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories.

Copy those entries if there are any, into a reply.

ace

Quote:
Original post by TheMeatMan
RTF Dox.

STFU TMM
do you know how sprawling the 'Dox' are for VS & dotNet - esp when you're new to a language and dont know what the problem might be?

U T1T

Gentlemen, please keep the conversation civil. Timberl, for future reference, try to ignore the trolls on the board. They just get you into trouble that you don't want to be in.

---
Michael Tanczos

I apologize for my off-handed comment, woke up with a bad hangover.

Microsoft has made it extremely easy to set up and use the Express tools.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/learning/default.aspx

For non-video: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

Again, let me apologize for the comment, this had just been the Nth comment on the Mth fourum that I have been to where people rush to download VC++ Express but then don't do the next step of using the readily available, and simple, resources to get started.

Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by Michael Tanczos
Gentlemen, please keep the conversation civil. Timberl, for future reference, try to ignore the trolls on the board. They just get you into trouble that you don't want to be in.

---
Michael Tanczos

okay

Marvellous guys, since getting the platform SDK etc. (and then spending many hours trying to configure it) I've got it working - at bitter last. Thanks a million

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!