• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
5h466y

Unity 3D Game Engine Documentation

This topic is 4872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone ... First of all , i want to discusse a personal very interesting topic and actually from my part being currently a big doubt for the thing i want to learn , excuse me everyone if i've been spamming with this thread and this topic has been posted before, but i can sure you that i searched posts like this before and didn't found nothing (or just a bit of info in the best case), i want to make u sure that i'm posting because of my actual research needing (not because i want to).... Here's the deal : 3D engines personally, are the one of the most exciting programming challenges that i have ever considered, and so for many other people, and by its constant technological changing it's difficult to make sure what is the best documentation about that part of the game developing science ... I have visited and revisited book sites (Ex: Amazon, GameDev, etc), looking for reviews and other opinions about books that i have considered the best documentation i have found about 3d game engine design and architecture, here are the books : 1. '3D Game Engine Programming (Game Development Series)' by Stefan Zerbst : Amazon URL : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592003516/002-6179704-4767214?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance I downloaded the pdf for personal evaluation and see if it's worth to buy it, not a bad book, but it has been considered a "how i made my own engine" book , it has 3.5 stars, so that means that is considered and average book for the geek comunity, some opinions said that this book its a good introduction to this whole 3d engine mess , others said that is better as a complementary book, i think it is a good introductory book i think, i'm actually specializing in cg programming around directx, so this book can have a good relationship with my person xD .. but it's just my opinion (and i'm looking for more opinions, specially from this gaming comunity). 2. '3D Game Engine Architecture : Engineering Real-Time Applications with Wild Magic (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)' by David H. Eberly : Amazon URL : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/012229064X/002-6179704-4767214?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance I don't have the pdf for this one, but i readed some pages at the exceprt of the book at amazon, the first thing i noted is that is OpenGL oriented (obviously it's not a bad thing), but as i said before i'm learning an introduction to dx9 (with Jones's and Lamothe's book), for many people this book has just been the bible for 3d game engines (5 stars on amazon), but my personal opinion is that is not a good thing writing a 3d game engine book in a API-dependent manner, it should be explained at a higher level just to make sure it will work for everyone ... (i'm not meaning the code, just the design). And it's the same prob that have the previous explained book , is dX9-dependent explanation. 3. '3D Game Engine Design : A Practical Approach to Real-Time Computer Graphics (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology)' by David H. Eberly : Amazon URL : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558605932/002-6179704-4767214?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance I have nothing to say about this book yet, i'm currently downloading the pdf, but it could be the answer to my problems xD ... Here is my request : I want to know how to learn 3d game engine architecture in the future, with "learn 3d game engine architecture" i'm meaning that i want to learn where to start ?, what are the modules of a basic 3d engine ?, how to implement it ? and some more stuff like math ... (but is the least important in this case), the thing is i wish to start learning about 3d engines , some kind of good introduction and then learn about 3d engine modules and design at a high programming level, and then learn how to implement it with some graphics library (dx9) .. Here are my questions : 1. What is the best documentation or book compilation for learning about 3d engines ?. Why? 2. What is the best documented introduction to 3d engine desing ?. Why ? Note : The main objective of this thread is discuss many books and ther documentations as posible. Thank u for your time ... xD ... Peace out ! P.D. : Excuse me for my bad english xD ... I'm not so good at that xD...

Advertisement
David Eberly's books are no joke. I have them all. Not everybody may agree with everything he says, but for the most part this guy knows what he's doing. He also provides complete source to a Gamebryo-like 3D engine on his website http://www.geometrictools.com/. It's not an uber-fast engine but IMO it is a good reference implementation.

LaMothe's "Tricks of the 3d game programming gurus" ... how good is it ?? is it better than Eberly's ??

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!