[web] PHP tutorials

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
OK, so I was looking around Amazon.com and I saw the book Game Programming in PHP. I was very intrigued by the last chapter, which talked about making a MMORPG in PHP. My question is, would it be practical to make an entire MMORPG in PHP? If so, could you point me towards some good PHP game development/graphics tutorials?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
That just sounds like a bad idea to me. :( If it become really popular, the overhead of web based sessions could become problematic.
The php interpreter lacks raw power as compared to "traditional" languages like c or c++.

That said, it is very possible to create any type of game in php; do take into consideration, however, that it's not designed for real-time games at all.

Niko Suni

My thoughts exactly.
I see... not even a 2D one? It sounded pretty cool for a minute...
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
You could but it would be a ton of work. :(
You might be able to do some cool client side stuff with Java Script, then process the interaction with PHP.
Yeah, I'd be really interested in knowing what that last chapter was all about. A Mud would be fairly easy to pull off, an MMORPG would not be.
hold on, I_smell_tuna. thats my sn on another board
Quote:Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
You could but it would be a ton of work. :(

More work than if I did it in C++/DirectX?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement