• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hypherion

Newbie looking for opengl tutorials

This topic is 4872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have used search to see if i could find anything to suit my needs but after 2-3 pages in witch i found nothing i thought i'd make a new thread. I have looked on a couple of tutorials (opengl.org has a lot of them, but most of them had marks under 5, and no offense to nehe but his tutorial seemed to be a little to hard to follow since his comments and explanations don't seem enough for me to fully understand the function and the general context it could be used in). So i am hoping that some of you can give me some tutorials with a little more developed explanations. (books can do too but i am not sure if i can get most of them since in my country we have absolutely no shops selling the books presented on speciality sites on programming and paying shipping of 25$+ on a 30$ book doesn't look very nice) Thank you for your time.

Advertisement
No offense, but I haven't seen any OpenGL tutorials that were more suitable for beginners than the Nehe ones.

What are the problems you have with it?

Quote:
Original post by Konfusius
No offense

None taken :)

The problems are that the style of presentation doesn't seem to fully suit my style of learning (i am not implying that they are bad/inaccurate or any other bad adjective). Imho the code seems a little too split up and it's kinda hard to follow the general picture without moving around the page a lot.

But since there seems to be a general opinion that nehe's tutorials are very good i'll try and use notepad-ide side by side and maybe it will suit my syle better.

thx

OpenGl basics are very simple, but the setup to get it started is confusing at first. Add to that the Win32 windows part which is also confusing to beginners, and you get alot of code for just drawing one polygon.

you may want to look into sdl for windowing/input and then thats at least one part less "split up" and confusing code. You can download the sdl port of nehe tutorials and then you will see the opengl code proper.

Iftah.

Guest Anonymous Poster
yout problem is the layer between opengl and the OS, you can use SDL, GLUT etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!