• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pauljan

OpenGL Seams on adjacent cubes

This topic is 4902 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use z-fighting here to mean something slightly different: parts of a polygon edge showing because that edge is exactly at the same position as the edge of a different polygon.

I obviously misinterpret your remark there, you are talking about lines and polygons not being rasterized 100% the same by OpenGL (showing up when the view angle changes). I think this is known API behaviour, I thought I'd read about it somewhere in the OpenGL specs but I can't really find it atm.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
So, is the application drawing a wireframe to highlight the edges? That image seems to have been compressed and perhaps resized so it's hard to tell much specific from it. I'm also a bit confused about those being cubes. It looks like 16 quads, not cubes, to me. If it just quads then I can only wonder what exactly is suppose to be bleeding through.

Oh, that's me. I thought it might be worth mentioning one thought. That is that it might be anti-aliasing. You might be blending the edges with that grey background. It doesn't look anti-aliased but then I don't know how close that image is to the original.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why do people always have to come up with "I call this xxxxx" - why not stick to generally accepted terminology, or just explain themselves properly?

No, no, in this case there is no wireframe, and there is no aliasing either (except for the JPG artifacts in the image). And they are cubes, not quads. I just placed the camera in such a way you can't really tell (I wanted the seams to show up clearly).

But truely, I am rather sure this is a completely logical and natural phenomenon given the nature of the geometry. You obviously are not convinced, and I wouldn't mind being proved wrong at all :)

Do you want me to whack up a simple test application to test this in and send it to you? I don't know what your programming language of choice is, and I normally work in Delphi, but it should be easy to fire up some old C/C++ compiler, take one of the most basic Nehe examples and throw in a bunch of cubes.

Oh, and Mr Anonymous poster back there, the answer is "because they don't know any better". I didn't know the term z-fighting was reserved for coplanar primitives only. If you leave that single word out, the following definition applies nicely:

"Z-fighting is a phenomenon in 3D rendering which occurs when two or more coplanar primitives have the similar values in the Z buffer (usually caused by floating point round-off errors), causing random parts of the primitives to be rendered"

Sorry for being a bit ignorant, I am trying to learn :)

(also, blame Wikipedia for the typo, not me)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!