• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
programwizard

Language Choice For A MMORPG

This topic is 4867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently debating which language I should use for my 2D MMORPG: C++ or Java. I've compiled this list of pros and cons, but I wanted to get some feedback from you guys... C++ Pros -Already know it -Already know DirectX -Already have a ton of books and software for it Cons -Client download could tighten bandwith -Players must update their client everytime coneten is added or changed. Java Pros -Could easily jump because I know C++ -Seemingly simple API -Easy webpage embedding as an Applet Cons -Don't know it yet -Not exactly sure how easy applet programming will be... What do you think???

Advertisement
Yes.. the client/server model for a mmo is technically sockets. As long as both have the protocol type you want you can get it to work. I did it with flash mx, and php. Although that was sorta rediculous :P

Bandwidth should NOT be an issue, its SO cheap. You can get 1000GB of transfer WITH a server from $99-199/month in a decent datacenter now a days. When bandwidth does become an issue you should have more then enough customers to cover it anyways.

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
I was also pondering PHP, but people in the Web Dev forum said that it wasn't really designed for real-time games...
PHP is designed to serve web-content. While using BSD Sockets in it I had about 2% cpu utilization for 6 users connected to one chat "server" script I wrote.

It was more of a learn about sockets thing than anything else :P

The user would have to download the client for Java as well, whether it be standalone or as an applet in a web page. An advantage you missed for Java is portability. If you go with C++/DirectX, then you will be limited to essentially one platform only, whereas a Java client could be used on many platforms.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!