Language Choice For A MMORPG

Started by
24 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by kevmo
The user would have to download the client for Java as well, whether it be standalone or as an applet in a web page.

Not true; you can play RuneScape without downloading anything.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
OK, I'm going to look into Java before I make my decision. Can anyone recommened some good Java game programming tutorials?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
The user would have to download the client for Java as well, whether it be standalone or as an applet in a web page.

Not true...

How do you think you get the graphics files, the sounds, the maps... everything. Runescape send files to your PC which are stored in your temp directory. You need these files to play runescape, if everything was streamed (graphics, sound etc.) the game would be extremely laggy.

I meant you don't have to use a client. Anyway, any good Java links?
At school we have had a little bit of thinkering in class about making MMORPG's, nothing much, just a bit of theory and thoughts behind it.

One of the things I entered, and sort of swept the class, was that the server doesn't need to know what api or language the client is using, as long as it holds true to what ever communication protocol was used between the client and the server. And visa verca.
The First MMO - Ultima Online

Programmed in C#, sourcecode can be found here - www.runuo.com
----------------------------------------------------------Rating me down will only make me stronger.----------------------------------------------------------
Quote:Original post by Shamino
The First MMO - Ultima Online

Programmed in C#, sourcecode can be found here - www.runuo.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but C# hadn't been invented when Ultima Online was made... someone might have done a port, or you might have got it onfused with C++.
RunUO is an Ultima Online emulated server programmed in C#.
-------------------------Rayoom Sledge Hammer Productions - Programmer
so the origional UO wouldnt be in C#?

what was it then? java? C++?
----------------------------------------------------------Rating me down will only make me stronger.----------------------------------------------------------

C++
Cons
-Client download could tighten bandwith

The point was that the client is downloaded to the user whether they specifically have to download a standalone client or whether it is sent as an applet, and thus bandwidth is not an issue. If you had stated a con as the user having to do more work to be able to run the client, then that would have been a (semi) valid point. But comparing the bandwidth usage of C++ versus Java is not a valid point without getting to the size of the client itself. If anything, I think that going with Java would use more bandwidth in case the user's cache is cleared and they have to redownload the client data.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement