How to get in the console dev industry?

Started by
6 comments, last by Blackkata 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello there. I am 16 years old, and I am very interested in the hardware aspect of development. I would love to design consoles in the future. My question is, how would I get into that sort of industry? You never hear about Microsoft or Sony recruiting console development interns, or even hear about them hiring professionals to work on the consoles. What sort of training should I endure? Is the industry stable? Is it very rare to actually get our hands on a console development job? Thank you very much. I know this one might take a while to be replied to, as this is a game development board, but I am very interested and clueless. Kyle
Kyle Louis HuntStudent
Advertisement
OTOH you'd have to get a degree as a hardware systems engineer (don't know the term), work very hard at that and eventually apply for a job.
You want to study Electrical Engineering.

Just an educated guess... Probably the reason that you don't hear much about Microsoft or Sony hiring EE's is that Sony does most of it's development in Japan, and Microsoft designs and manufactures very little of the Xbox hardware.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Microsoft designs and manufactures very little of the Xbox hardware.

Microsoft just outsources the design and manufacturing of the xbox. You would probably just be lucky to happen to be working for the company that got the contract. But you could probably shoot for working for a company that is known for designing consumer electronic products. But thats just my quess.
Electrical and/or Computer Engineering would be the degree you're looking for. There are few players in the console industry by nature, but there are lots of companies that develop computer hardware or embedded systems. Look at the internships offered by IBM.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
electrical engineering at a guess. MS and Sony no doubt recruit from graduates in it.
I guess it depends on what part of console hardware development you want to get into, no company builds an entire console from the ground up, take a look at the specs on the upcoming consoles by Microsoft, Sony, etc.

They have CPU chips mostly made by IBM, graphics cards by ATI or NVIDIA, and the list goes on...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Your looking for the Computer Engineering Degree, not the Electrical Engineering Degree. The difference being that Computer Engineering focuses a lot more on the design of computer systems such as PCs, chips, gfx cards and consoles. Depending on the programing you look at going into with Electrical Engineering youll miss Embeded Systems, VLSI Deisgn, Digital Design and other critical subjects that are important in computer system design, so unless you want to go into the design of the Power Supply of the console then you do want CEN over EE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement