• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Warvstar

Geo Clipmap Terrain

This topic is 5107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok so basically I need Geo Clipmapped terrain, I was wondering if there was any tips or tutorials out there other than that microsoft pdf file. How much work would it be to design terrain like that ran on the GPU with the vertex and texture LOD and terrain compression. I'm wondering because I may end up paying someone on rentacoder and dont know how much I should pay. Thanks for any suggestions. [Edited by - Wavstars on November 20, 2005 9:37:46 PM]

Advertisement
Humm I didn't find any other resource on the web when I was implementing it. But it's not really hard to implement that method, if you leave the compression / decompression problem asside.
When you have it working on the CPU, it's quite simple to make it work on the GPU. You simply have a render-to-texture pass to create the vertex texture, and then in the shader, you have a few instructions to get the height from this texture.

I spent a little less than 5 days on implementing it (without compression / decompression) and I just graduated at the time. So for an experienced / good programer, implementing it with compression and on the GPU should take 1 to 2 weeks, I think.

Quote:
Original post by paic
Humm I didn't find any other resource on the web when I was implementing it. But it's not really hard to implement that method, if you leave the compression / decompression problem asside.
When you have it working on the CPU, it's quite simple to make it work on the GPU. You simply have a render-to-texture pass to create the vertex texture, and then in the shader, you have a few instructions to get the height from this texture.

I spent a little less than 5 days on implementing it (without compression / decompression) and I just graduated at the time. So for an experienced / good programer, implementing it with compression and on the GPU should take 1 to 2 weeks, I think.

Thanks for the respose, Basically what I wanted to hear.
Nice, I found my old account. warvstar not warvstars.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!