New look?

Started by
83 comments, last by khawk 18 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Hmm, the cat's (more) out of the bag now.

Personally, I find the old site design considerably more readable. Yes, www2 has the clean, polished design of a professional corporate site, while www has slight overtones of "Billy's Satanic Flaming Skull GIF Temple"...

I agree. And besides, if you asked a 100 game developers to make a site about game development, you would get more www sites than tose with a www2 style.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
Hmm, the cat's (more) out of the bag now.

[lol]

Personally, I find the old site design considerably more readable. Yes, www2 has the clean, polished design of a professional corporate site

I think the overall design of the www2 version is better, ignoring the colour scheme. There are a couple of usability things to be sorted out, but I definitely the layout. Refining the billions of links across the top can only be a good thing.

But powder blue on blue, and black on grey, make my eyes say no.

Colour scheme could do with being a bit tweaked.

Quote:OK, the wow effect is starting to wear off... it's just to bright! I got a headache from staring at the forums too long

I do remember overhearing one of the MVP's in Seattle (forget exactly who) pointed out that they didn't visit this site because of it's white-on-black scheme. Made his eyes hurt looking at it for too long iirc.

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
I do remember overhearing one of the MVP's in Seattle (forget exactly who) pointed out that they didn't visit this site because of it's white-on-black scheme. Made his eyes hurt looking at it for too long iirc.

Quite understandable, white on black is clearly harder to read than the opposite. Besides, black backgrounds are soooo 1997.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Yes, we will allow the option to view alternate skins, such as a dark background style with white text similar to the current version. However, don't expect this to be available when we go public with it.

FYI, we never announced this. We showed it to the crowd at the Austin Game Conference to get feedback (only 1 person the entire show hated it), but we never linked this anywhere publicly. In fact, I'm not even sure how the original poster found out about it.

Although, with a little playing around it's not too hard to find. [smile]

Anyway, good to hear more feedback. Most concerns are known and logged, but it doesn't mean they will be fixed before the new version goes live.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Hate to impede on the joy, but for my sake, I am highly content with the current design of the website and I only have this to say, "Do not fix something that is not broken". I have had a bad experience with organizations trying to update to the latest and greatest technology that they end up creating a far worse situataion than it needed to be.

But, like myself and many others do every day -- Suck it up and move on.

Just my two cents,
-Dave
I found out when I got an email from gamedev telling me my post was answered. The link to the post was the ww2 website insted of the ww one. The sender was also different(dave@gamedev.net instead of webmaster@....). Love the new look!!!
bi-FreeSoftware
I think the new design you guys are working on looks great. I would post from it, but I'm using firefox.

Hope it is done soon.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Quote:Original post by Khawk
Yes, we will allow the option to view alternate skins, [...]However, don't expect this to be available when we go public with it.

[...]Most concerns are known and logged, but it doesn't mean they will be fixed before the new version goes live.
Will we still be able to use the current interface? Colors are a _REALLY_ big deal to me, and unfortunately the colors on the new interface don't work for my eyes =-(

If the new interface had been activated last month with the current color scheme as the only option, the vacation would probably have done me good, but by the time it is activated I'll have plenty of time to spend on gamedev and I'd hate to be unable to do so (especially since, theoretically, one of the features I'm paying for is themes). I wouldn't mind making my own theme, though, as long as there is some way to apply it.

Besides the general text & background color, the only suggestion I have is that the avatar background color be made closer to the color of the things around it, because my icon looks horrible with the transparent areas being a completely different color than the rest of the post 'frame'.

[   stupid having to log out to get the sad face icon =-(   ]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by ildave1
Hate to impede on the joy, but for my sake, I am highly content with the current design of the website and I only have this to say, "Do not fix something that is not broken". I have had a bad experience with organizations trying to update to the latest and greatest technology that they end up creating a far worse situataion than it needed to be.

But, like myself and many others do every day -- Suck it up and move on.

Just my two cents,
-Dave

The only "new" technology we are using different from the current site is CSS. The backend software is all the same. We're just giving GDNet a facelift.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Will we still be able to use the current interface? Colors are a _REALLY_ big deal to me, and unfortunately the colors on the new interface don't work for my eyes =-(

Yes, we will be putting the current on www2 with a link to it from www for those that want to continue to use it until we provide more themes or it becomes pointless to have it around.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement