• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AdamGL

New look?

This topic is 4945 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

"www2"? There are secrets on the internets!

The new site is certainly pretty. I never thought the current layout was a problem but I suppose the newer one is nicer. I hope the option for black background, white text is made available soon after the change. It's easy on the eyes for late night browsing sessions.

Advertisement
I remember another website that started out nice and dark, then decided to switch to something really bright (mostly white, with a little bit of very light blue), and they've started to make it darker again.

I thought the white version of gamedev.net'd be far worse than it is (the gray probably helps). The colours of the bars in the polls might need changing though, but other than that, the colour scheme is pretty good.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I really dislike the "new look". The white on gray is much easier on the eyes, as is the original font size. The new font is tiny and difficult to read, and the page does not respond to text size requests from the browser. It is definitely a step backward from the current style in my opinion.

I hate to say that, especially since it looks like you've done a lot of work on the new design.. but i prefer the current one. Easier for my eyes, too.

In addition, i notice that the menu appears in a column on the left side of the journal. That's a real shame, because i had formatted all the images of my journal to be of a dimension so that the horizontal scrollbar wouldn't be needed. If you absolutely want to keep that menu, i'd suggest putting the calendar (which is currently in the top-right) on the left side, too.

Y.

Actually, I didn't like it at first as it reminded me of a lot of other sites but now, having looked around for a while, it's not too bad really...like almost everything else in life, it just takes a wee while getting used to it :)

..and I'm posting from the worldwebwar2 www2 site

Quote:

In addition, i notice that the menu appears in a column on the left side of the journal. That's a real shame, because i had formatted all the images of my journal to be of a dimension so that the horizontal scrollbar wouldn't be needed. If you absolutely want to keep that menu, i'd suggest putting the calendar (which is currently in the top-right) on the left side, too.

That's a valid concern. We'll have to think about some options.

Quote:
Original post by Khawk
Quote:

Surely that's a general web-layout type problem. My monitor won't go above 1024x768 - which causes me problems with a few journals where the calendar and/or images are too wide.

If I'm posting large images then I force them to be 50% (etc..) of their width and turn them into a hyperlink with a "(Click To Enlarge)" tag.

I'm no web-developer, but maybe some sort of dimensions analysis and/or resizing would work? Maybe even an "auto thumb-nail" type tag that does what I just described..?

Cheers,
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:
Original post by Khawk
Quote:

Surely that's a general web-layout type problem. My monitor won't go above 1024x768 - which causes me problems with a few journals where the calendar and/or images are too wide.

If I'm posting large images then I force them to be 50% (etc..) of their width and turn them into a hyperlink with a "(Click To Enlarge)" tag.

I'm no web-developer, but maybe some sort of dimensions analysis and/or resizing would work? Maybe even an "auto thumb-nail" type tag that does what I just described..?

Cheers,
Jack

Yep, while I don't meddle in the site software on a regular basis I'm sure it can be done with some image libraries we have.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!