• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Lane

OpenGL Animated Procedural Textures

This topic is 4870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would one go about creating proceedural textures in OpenGL? I have no idea where to start on this. What I am after is the ability to render real-time proceedural textures that are animated using fractals, like the fire and water effects in the first generation Unreal Engine games (UE2 also supports them, but they are less commonly used). Basically I want to be able to render fractals in real time onto a texture, and also use fractals to distort textures (like rain falling into a shallow puddle). I am not asking about the fractals, but rather updating textures per frame in OpenGL. Any ideas?

Advertisement
You could implement animated procedural textures using pixel shaders. Rebinding textures every frame would imho be too slow. See the NVIDIA SDK for some demos..

Thanks for the tip, but given this was done in Unreal way back in 1998, which also had software rendering, there should be an easier way.

This is the sort of thing I am on about:

http://unreal.epicgames.com/Fire/AnimatingTextures.htm

Ah, no worries. You could maintain a 2d-array of pixel data and then update that each frame and rebind the texture each frame. But pixel shaders would definitely be the way to do it efficiently.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!