• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wiz7896

Sewer Puzzle Design for an RPG.

This topic is 4872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I've been doing this for alot of years now, this is the first time I'm trying to make a chalenging puzzle, but I can't come up with anything I get too confused! this is really the first snag I've hit. So does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Any places where I can get ideas? Or does anyone wanna be a Puzzle Person? Help me out guys :) thanks.

Advertisement
To request help with Sewer Puzzle for an RPG is too general..

What's kind of puzzle? what makes it a "Sewer" puzzle? O.o it could be that it is done inside a Sewer, that it uses pipes and a lot moer of stuff...

And saying it's for an RPG just opens the posibility of thinking that your character might have to interact with the pieces of this puzzle.

Could you elaborate your idea?

It would help to be more specific.

For example, when and wher does this take place? Far future, medevil setting, etc...

Are you expecting monster encounters? If so what sorts would fit in the setting? Giant worms, robotic cleaner droids, mutated turtles, sewer dragons, mysteriosly animated plungers...

and just what sort of puzzle are you asking about? A level for the characters to move around in or would it be more of a mini-game sort of puzzle?

I JUST need a concept for a puzzle. It's an industrial revolution type setting. We got turtles swimmin' in the sewage. I designed the map once, but I tore it up in frustration because of this puzzle issue. A puzzle where you walk around and pull switches and junk. Thanks guys.

You could block off area's with steam leaking from tubes, or a gap you can only cross when it's filled with water. Make the relaying of this steam through other tubes, or the filling of the gap, effect other area's as well. For example, the next area is now filled with steam or another gap is without water. The player must now fix the tubes (cool them down with water, fix them with a wrench or replace them by another tube, whatever specifics you want) and relay the steam again so he can safely cross the first area and enter the second area as well.
In the water case, the player should cross the first gap and attach a rope somewhere, or lay down some planks found on that side, so he can relay the water to the second pit and still cross the first pit.

You could use the turtles as well... perhaps they nibble at ropes so the rope trick wouldn't work, meaning you would have to get them out of the water or into another part of the sewers, something like that.

Of course, those are obstacle puzzles, perhaps you had another type in mind, but this is just what jumps to mind. Maybe you can use it.

Those are pretty cool. No I'm not looking to be specific, I'm just totally stumped and have been for a long time. Let me look at the map and see if I can work the steam thing out.

Thanks for the help guys :) I came up with it on my own. A series of switches that need to be toggled, each switch controles two pipes that pour out sewage. ick, lol.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!