Making a MUD game

Started by
7 comments, last by Will F 18 years, 5 months ago
Hi guys I really want this MUD game. and I'm not sure if I want to get into programming, or just have the game made to me. If I were to make a MUD from scratch, with a GUI (yes GUI for a mud) and a login client (not the telnet cheap login) What kind of Programming skills would I need? what should I start with? Sprixus
Advertisement
To make a MUD, above and beyond basic programming skills, you'll need to be able to:

* manage an in-game database of players, rooms, monsters, objects... It doesn't have to be a full database system, but you still need to be able to keep track of them.
* parse user input. You need to get acquainted with text manipulations, tokenizing, parsing.
* Make the NPCs, monsters (generally knowns as 'mobiles') act too.
* Cause changes in the world based on the actions of the players and mobiles.
* Handle network communications - learn about sockets. And since you want a dedicated client, you'll need to design some kind of protocol. How? It's up to you.
* Learn GUI programming - it depends on your target OS. On Windows, Java, C#, VB or even Python are probably the way to go.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Now, I'm no expert - far from it in fact - but i can tell you here and now - C++ is definately the way to go
Thank you for the reply.

Think Learning all that will take me years... Think I'd be better
off getting a programmer to help me out then lol

Sprixus
Quote:Sprixus
If I were to make a MUD from scratch, with a GUI (yes GUI for a mud) and a login client (not the telnet cheap login)

If this is going to be your first "real" coding project I suggest you use telnet as a client and get at least a basic text system up and running first before going to a custom graphical client. Designing client/server systems in parallel is non trivial, even for people who have been coding for years.

Quote:Original post by Beaverbutt8
Now, I'm no expert - far from it in fact - but i can tell you here and now - C++ is definately the way to go

No it isn't. C++ or any language that requires you to do your own memory managment is a terrible first language. I would highly recommend Python. If you want to get some gui running you have the choice of either wxPython or TKinter. I would suggest wxPython, although they are both good libraries.

If that intrests you can grab a copy of python and various documentation from the offical site. A google search will turn up tons and tons of resources to help get you started.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1901.asp

Also you could make a mud like game using web technologies.

if you want the multi user chat side of it this can be done with java and flash quite well and there are some good apps out there for it.
Using C++ doesn't mean you have to worry about 'memory management', people just seem to think it does, and/or think they want to do such things. Smart pointers and standard containers tear apart the 'C++ == memory management' myth. I rarely ever (if at all) declare any variable to be a raw pointer to a type.
Look at it this way, I've been a member since 02.20.2001 and I still have
the same idea for this game I sooo much want.

I did try C++ and gave up. then I try Python and I found it exiting
in the start, I did some tutorials, but my probleme is that I just can't
understand how it all works, maby I should get some professional help lol.
or maby I'm just plain SLOW!!

If I'd go for anything, I'd go for Python tho! Maby I could learn better
if I had someone to help me out getting started.

::SHrugs::

Sprixus
There's tons of MUD source code that you can study available on the net - give google a shot.

Also, I haven't read it, but take a look at this book: MUD Game Programming by Ron Penton. It might help get you started.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement