Using VS.NET and the gcc compiler.

Started by
3 comments, last by KulSeran 18 years, 5 months ago
How do I do it? =) I'm getting "c:\..\gcc is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." But it IS, I insist. I can invoke gcc from the command-line with no issues. Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Provide the full path?

Also, beware that the GCC command-line options are not the same as the CL command-line options, so just setting options from the VC IDE will not produce a command line that's understandable by GCC.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
In the same place you would normally add include/library paths there is another option in the same drop down box for adding executable paths. Add the path to gcc, then just reference the executable as gcc.exe.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
I apologize, I asked this question in a very vague and confusing way. I was trying to put together a make file that would build my program using gcc, and that was the error I was getting, which means I'm either grossly in error in the way I'm formulating the make file OR I'm grossly in error in the way I think VS.NET compiles things given a makefile.

That said, is there a way to set up a project to use an alternative compiler that doesn't involve making my own makefile?
I'd like to know what is wrong with using the VS project templates to make
a new project that compiles with the VS compiler.

If you dont want to do that, you can make a VS project.
Then exclude all files from the regular build, and force a custom build step on all files that calls gcc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement