why does everything microsoft make sooo complicated (C++ stuff)

Started by
40 comments, last by Matt Green 18 years, 5 months ago
use g++
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by crusadingknight
I want better docs for APIs, like OpenAL, not for a frontend to gcc.

The MSDN documentation includes everything you need to know about MS APIs, in addition to the information about the IDE itself. Not to mention being one of the single most useful sources for information on the C++ library you will come across.

Although the broken links are annoying, set yourself up to work off the online version and everything works much better. Not really sure what's going on there...

CM
When CodeBlocks has Intellisense better than VC2005's, then I'll be impressed. I'd rate the new Visual Studio's Intellisense as near omniscent when it comes to correctly parsing highly complex C++ code.

Also, saying something is 'freaky' isn't really the foundation of a solid argument. (Actually, the word has more of a sexual overtone to it, which just doesn't make sense in the context of an IDE. Or, at least not to me.)
You can fault MS for many things, but VS2005 sure as hell isnt one of them.
The UI is frankly a joy to use, the look and feel of it is an improvement on the .Net02/03 versions (and light years ahead of VC6). There is a reason companies like MS spend alot of money on HCI studies, to come up with slick and workable UIs.

I've tried both Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks in the past (earlier this year), Code::Blocks was certainly better than Dev-C++ but both felt wrong and looks bad when used.

Also, the fact that it compiles multiple files at once on my system is a total win. I noticed the other night while doing a batch rebuild of one of my libs that the job number on the left of the build pane got to 4, which means it was compiling 4 things at once! If you rebuild a solution with two projects in it it rebuilds them both at the same time as well, how cool is that?
OK, so its probably coz I've got a duel core CPU, but thats a pretty damned cool way to cut down compile times of large projects [grin]

edit:
I'm also a fan of the #pragma linking. My libs all do what boost does, compile guards around a config header which on an MS compiler selects the correct version of the library to include in the app based on the runtime selected.
This makes my life much easier as all i need todo it include a few headers to get my libs compiled in, much more of a time saver when compared to having todo it myself.
If you tweak the arguments to make, Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks can compile multiple things at once too.

-j jobs	    Specifies the number of jobs (commands) to run simultaneously.  If	    there  is  more than one -j option, the last one is effective.  If	    the -j option is given without an argument, make  will  not	 limit	    the number of jobs that can run simultaneously.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by phantom
[...]The UI is frankly a joy to use[...]
Except for the system colors it uses, which make it look terrible if you use the 'Windows Classic' theme with non-standard colors =-(
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Lode
use g++

delorie ftw
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Quote:Original post by phantom
[...]The UI is frankly a joy to use[...]
Except for the system colors it uses, which make it look terrible if you use the 'Windows Classic' theme with non-standard colors =-(

Ah, I'm using a windows 'longhorn' a like theme (kinda light greys and stuff) and it blends really well with the colours in the UI [grin]

Quote:I do feel that the VS2005 compiler is extremely picky. On VC6 and any other compiler and IDE combo, I could have:

MessageBox(NULL,"Hello","Hello",MB_OK);

On VC2005,

MessageBox(NULL,L"Hello",L"Hello",MB_OK);

That L parameter came out of nowhere. It's annoying, especially if you've never used the compiler and don't know it's even supposed to be there.

erm.. i think you need to know your IDE more before comparing it with others. The 'L' parameter has been around for a LONG time and not just in VS2005. I've seen it in .Net and .Net2k3 (cant confirm for vc6). What it stands for has already been explained by JohnB.

Quote:Is it just me or was that a blank message...?

The first parameter is a handle to the owner window. So the Messagebox command specified in the example has a title of 'Hello' and content of 'Hello' with an OK button, and it is linked to the desktop (i think).
- To learn, we share... Give some to take some -
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Quote:Original post by agi_shi
Take code::blocks and visual C++ express for example. Both are free, but visual C++ express only for a year. Guess how long it took me to install code::blocks and get up a hello world program? Yup, less than 2 mins. or so... Now guess visual C++ express? It downloads and installs for more than 15 minutes!!!

When Code::Blocks starts shipping with MSDN-quality documentation, then I'll be impressed.

*** adds a link to http://msdn.microsoft.com/ to Code::Blocks help menu ***

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement