Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fixxer

Professional Games Made In C#?

This topic is 4792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of any? I think I may want to get into C# more than C++ because for one, The windows forms designer is great, and #2 its a bit easier. Are there any professional games made in C# or is C# too slow to be used on a professional level. I decided I needed to upgrade to VS 2005 and leave 6.0 behind and im debating on whether to buy books for C++ or C#. It seems to me that there are more newer books on directX 9.0 and networking for C# than for C++.

Advertisement
I recently made the same move as you and have never looked back - i can't list any engines as such, but from tutorials i have seen there are no huge drawbacks.

Hi,

In my opinion, C# and MDX are great.

I know there was one AAA game that was made with C#, but I can't recall the name.

Here are links (straight from my bookmarks) for some C# engines. Enjoy!
Tzu 3D Engine (also check the video section)
Haddd Engine (also check the download section)
Flight Simulator
Purple#

Don't forget that many people are starting to use C# so you should see more stuff in the future. I am myself doing a FPS demo in C# from scratch.

Darkneon

I dont know why, but I just enjoy C# more.
Perhaps because its a lot easier, and has the form editor.

Thanks for the input.

Speed is not a question. Familiarity is however.

It took years before game programmers moved from assembly to C, with lots of "C is too slow" whining. It took years still (~1995 and later), long after everyone else had moved, to get to the game industry to C++ (the age of "using objects would be too slow" is still fresh in my mind).

You won't get professional C# games until there is a large enough pool of experienced C# programmers from outside the game industry (and crossing over into it) to allow companies to choose C# as their language without forcing employees to start over again. Learning a new API is one thing (and often API's are just incremental improvements). Learning a whole language is more complex then just knowing the syntax - you need to discover what works well and what doesn't. This process of really understanding the nuances of C# is still underway.

Quote:
Original post by comedypedro
Visual C++ 2005 has a forms editor too but Im not sure how it compares to VC#

Form editor works the same, as long as you don't mind the ugly hacked together "Managed C++" code syntax.

Yeah, I wouldn't use managed C++ if my job depended on it... I'd get a job doing C# :)

Thanks for the info. And nice game btw. My high score was 711,000 I killed my self cause I started to get bored at level 3.

Another reason many game companies do not switch to C# is that fact that by doing so they can kiss portability goodbye.
I don't know about XBox360, but I don't think PS3 will have .NET on it.
Ye another reason is that there are many libraries written in C/C++ as well as many pieces of C/C++ code that can be reused from previous projects.

I never switched to C# (or even to C++) because personally I find C easier than both. But let's not get into a C vs C++ vs C# flamewar, ok?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!