Professional Games Made In C#?

Started by
95 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Does anyone know of any? I think I may want to get into C# more than C++ because for one, The windows forms designer is great, and #2 its a bit easier. Are there any professional games made in C# or is C# too slow to be used on a professional level. I decided I needed to upgrade to VS 2005 and leave 6.0 behind and im debating on whether to buy books for C++ or C#. It seems to me that there are more newer books on directX 9.0 and networking for C# than for C++.
Advertisement
I recently made the same move as you and have never looked back - i can't list any engines as such, but from tutorials i have seen there are no huge drawbacks.
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
Hi,

In my opinion, C# and MDX are great.

I know there was one AAA game that was made with C#, but I can't recall the name.

Here are links (straight from my bookmarks) for some C# engines. Enjoy!
Tzu 3D Engine (also check the video section)
Haddd Engine (also check the download section)
Flight Simulator
Purple#

Don't forget that many people are starting to use C# so you should see more stuff in the future. I am myself doing a FPS demo in C# from scratch.

Darkneon
I dont know why, but I just enjoy C# more.
Perhaps because its a lot easier, and has the form editor.

Thanks for the input.
Visual C++ 2005 has a forms editor too but Im not sure how it compares to VC#
ah you are right =P
Speed is not a question. Familiarity is however.

It took years before game programmers moved from assembly to C, with lots of "C is too slow" whining. It took years still (~1995 and later), long after everyone else had moved, to get to the game industry to C++ (the age of "using objects would be too slow" is still fresh in my mind).

You won't get professional C# games until there is a large enough pool of experienced C# programmers from outside the game industry (and crossing over into it) to allow companies to choose C# as their language without forcing employees to start over again. Learning a new API is one thing (and often API's are just incremental improvements). Learning a whole language is more complex then just knowing the syntax - you need to discover what works well and what doesn't. This process of really understanding the nuances of C# is still underway.
Quote:Original post by comedypedro
Visual C++ 2005 has a forms editor too but Im not sure how it compares to VC#

Form editor works the same, as long as you don't mind the ugly hacked together "Managed C++" code syntax.

Yeah, I wouldn't use managed C++ if my job depended on it... I'd get a job doing C# :)

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Thanks for the info. And nice game btw. My high score was 711,000 I killed my self cause I started to get bored at level 3.
Another reason many game companies do not switch to C# is that fact that by doing so they can kiss portability goodbye.
I don't know about XBox360, but I don't think PS3 will have .NET on it.
Ye another reason is that there are many libraries written in C/C++ as well as many pieces of C/C++ code that can be reused from previous projects.

I never switched to C# (or even to C++) because personally I find C easier than both. But let's not get into a C vs C++ vs C# flamewar, ok?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement