Good books on DirectX shaders

Started by
6 comments, last by SephirothEX 18 years, 5 months ago
Only book I can find is ShaderX3 and some people say its not very good. Does anyone have any other recommendations of books that talk about shaders like HLSL, etc., specifically for the directx shader language? Something thats an "introduction" would be great.
- GDKnight
Advertisement
i bought this The Microsoft DirectX 9 Programmable Graphics Pipeline" it may not be the best, but it was 5$ and has lots of info
I bought both Programming Vertex and Pixel Shaders by Wolfgang Engel and The Complete Effect and HLSL Guide by Sebastien St-Laurent and I recommend neither of them to someone learning about shaders.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by MTclip
i bought this The Microsoft DirectX 9 Programmable Graphics Pipeline" it may not be the best, but it was 5$ and has lots of info

Yes, this has run me through the stuff also. I can recommend it as an introduction, after that I was able to move to learning with online material only.
I liked this one, as it actually gave you some excercises to do at the end of each chapter, and a possible solution
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=404

I also like the shaders x3 book, but to each his own.
Insufficent Information: we need more infromationhttp://staff.samods.org/aiursrage2k/
Hi I recommend these books:
1."introduction to direc3d game programming with direcx 9" its a great introduction to game programming specially shader programming with HLSL.
2."beginning direct3d game programming 2nd edition" its a good book if you use it with NO.1
3."the cg toturial": a very very very good book covering almost everything. explanations of theories and implementations in this book is outstanding. for example it was the first book that i read and i understood bump mapping without any problems.
4."shaders for game programmers and artists": this book is a little harder than previous ones. but it covers some topics that i never found them in any other books such as HDR and heat haze effect,...
hope that helped
I learned off of "Programming Vertex and Pixel Shaders" by Wolfgang Engel. It wasn't the best book, but it taught me the basics, which is all I needed.
Also, Humus really helped build my understanding of shaders.
--m_nPostCount++
ShaderX3 is pretty well written, but it's definitely not the first shader book you'd want to buy. It pretty much assumes that you've written shaders before and know the various languages used to write them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement