• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tutukun

need help with sorting algorithm :(

This topic is 4595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys I have a class like this class Node{ ..... int h; ... }; then a vector contain pointer to Node: vector<Node*> nodeList; Now im trying to compare h from each pointer from nodeList then sort all the pointers in the ascending order (due to h) I tried to do this If(nodeList->GetH() > nodeList[i+1]->GetH()) { //swap element i to i+1 } but eventually it will give me an out of bound error :(. So what should I do Thx in advance }

Advertisement
Question: Is all you care about is getting this sorted, or are you trying to learn the basics of sorting?

If the former, write a function that compares your structures, and use std::sort.

If the latter, you appear to be performing bubble sort, this is rarely a good choice. There are a few articles on Gamedev that discuss alternatives. But your specific problem is probably an off by one error. Your array only has N elements, and you are likely looping something like for(int i = 0; i < N; i++). This causes your last iteration to compare nodeList[i-1] to nodeList, but nodeList is not a valid element. Dwell on that a bit, and a solution should come to you.

CM

#include <algorithm>
#include <vector>

using namespace std;

struct node
{
node( int n ) : h(n) {};
int h;
}

bool compare_node_ptr( const node* const left, const node* const right )
{
return (left->h < right->h);
}

int main()
{
vector<node*> nodelist;
node n1( 5 ), n2( 1 ), n3( 3 );

nodelist.push_back( &n1 );
nodelist.push_back( &n2 );
nodelist.push_back( &n3 );

sort( nodelist.begin(), nodelist.end(), compare_node_ptr );

return 0;
}

edit: Awww. Beaten to it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!