Who can tell me the video mode of the original dos c&c is vga13h or modex 320x200?thx

Started by
14 comments, last by izzo 18 years, 4 months ago
Who can tell me the video mode of the original dos c&c is vga13h or modex 320x200?thx
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure Red Alert used the same engine, and RA ran at 640x400 (or optionally 640x480 in windows)
Quote:Original post by TravisWells
I'm pretty sure Red Alert used the same engine, and RA ran at 640x400 (or optionally 640x480 in windows)

I believe that RA ran in DOS used 320x200x256,not 640x400x256.sorry.

If you use XCC unpack RA mix data file,you can find the title image file that is 320x200x256 and another title iamge file is 640x480x256 which used in Windows95.
please visit the webpage:http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article315.asp
The video mode 13h
What is 13h?

Many computer games have used it such as DOOM and DOOM2, the original C&C the DOS version of C&C-RedAlert. It's also Quake's standard resolution, and QuakeII's non 3d excelerated standard resolution. So as you can see, it's a very widley used video mode...

So as you can see, it's a very widley used video mode...

It WAS a very widley used video mode,

Before windows OS, the computer world was ruled by DOS Os, and games where 2d sprited, it is a long history to tell why but all Videocards availables at that time (and still today) are compatible with an old but original design called VGA.

The VGA compatible videocard was very advanced at that time when computers used DOS, it have severals text modes aside the normals 80 characters wide into 22 lines of text. In the graphics side, it was capable to switch thevideo mode to 320x200 x 4 color, 640x480 x 16 colors and finally the mode you was talking about: 320x200 x 256 color. Every mode in the VGA is numbered starting from mode 0 then next mode 1, then next mode 2 etc.. programmers like to use numbers in Hexadecimal format, the 320x200x256 mode number was 19, or in hexadecimal = 13h.

From all those modes availables the games programmer preffered the mode 13h coze it have more colors to use, sprites look preaty well in 256 color mode, but the downside is that the 320x200 resolution sucks.

On day one smart guy discovered a way to re-programm the VGA writing some values to the VGA port, he modified in that way the original mode 13h to a new mode in 320x240 x 256 colors along with direct acces to max 256Kb of video memory (original 13h mode only allowed direct acces to max 64kb of video memory), so that extra memory can be used for backbuffers pages, store sprites, etc; that "unoficial" re-programed 320x240 x 256 mode was called Mode "X".

But all that history was before Windows, with Windows also came Directx and Opengl as THE way to program newers Videocards wich now they all comes with MB memory and fall more video modes like 1024x768x 32bit colors, all those new modes instead continuing numerating modes from 20, 21, 22, 23... etc they are now programmed usinf directx and opengl in different way.

Just One last Note:

If you ever hear about VESA then that was the newer standard that some people tried to implement with the new videocards video modes, they following the tradition of continuin numbering the video mode to 14h, 15h, 16h, etc, however that "standard" was not never popular in these days.

tp.

thank all your replies,
Of course I know VGA mode & VGA modex under DOS ,also I know that it's M$ windows's world today,most people use DirectX or OpenGL to make today's games under Windows.But I like those DOS rts games that I used to play them day and night,especial westwood C&C and RA.
I wodered how they run under DOS,used VGA 13H or MODEX 320x200x256?
I hope someone can tell me exact anwser,thanks.
IIRC you have to use assembler:

MOV AH,00 ; Request set mode
MOV AL,13 ; 320x200 resolution at 256 colours
INT 10H ; Call BIOS

AFAIK, OpenGL and DirectX can both do the same resolution though, which would be much simpler.
Quote:Original post by plz45
[...]M$[...]
Actually, it's spelled MS.
Quote:[...]But I like those DOS rts games that I used to play them day and night,especial westwood C&C and RA.[...]
How does the fact that you liked the games mean that you should use exactly the same technology? Personally, I'd suggest you just use DirectX, OpenGL, or other existing API and just make the art pixelated if you want it to be (for example, by turning off texture filtering). There isn't much reason to make games that only run on emulators, and for the most part that is where DOS games are these days. Of course, playing old games is great, but making new games on inferior technology isn't neccessary to make games with the same gameplay and appearance.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Shouldn't mode 13 be D, if it was converted to hex?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement