Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

What are materials for?

When I setup my texture stage state to use diffuse, it uses the diffuse values from the vertices, not the materials. So what is the material for? How do I get it to use the material diffuse value? Thank!

The material is similar to a real world material like chrome, metallic materials, plastic. It doesn't define the grain but it defines the way light interacts with objects that are associated with the materials you render. Such as chrome has a high specularity level. Your material gets applied to the object you are rendering and the light then interacts with it.

Here is a better definition from the SDK.
Materials describe how polygons reflect light or appear to emit light in a 3D scene. Material properties detail a material's diffuse reflection, ambient reflection, light emission, and specular highlight characteristics. Direct3D uses the D3DMATERIAL9 structure to carry all material property information. With the exception of the specular property, each property is described as an RGBA color that represents how much of the red, green, and blue parts of a given type of light it reflects, and an alpha blending factor.

I hope this helps.
Take care.