Sign in to follow this  
ThiEF_Jr

How to create large map for 3th person view game.

ThiEF_Jr    122
Hi all I want to create a 3D 3th person view game like Prince Of Persia, Ninja Giaden ..etc But i dont know how to create large map like that game. Previous work, I create map as a big model by 3DSMax, and culling by Octree. It good for outdoor scene, but not enough for now. I require more feature such as PVS or Portal. I know how PVS and Portal work, but i dont know how to create it from 3DSMax model. Does commercial game must have own level editor. Could i use 3DSMax or Maya or XSI or etc be my level editor ? Does anyone know which tools can create large level ? ps. I use per-pixel lighting for my engine. thx for reply :)

frob    44972
Quote:
Original post by ThiEF_Jr
Hi all

I want to create a 3D 3th person view game like Prince Of Persia, Ninja Giaden ..etc

These types of games are developed by a large group of talented and experienced people with a large budget. It is difficult for a single indie developer to do these from scratch. There are a few good engines out there that can be customized, which is usually the better approach for indies.
Quote:
But i dont know how to create large map like that game.

Previous work, I create map as a big model by 3DSMax, and culling by Octree.

It good for outdoor scene, but not enough for now. I require more feature such as PVS or Portal.

A giant static model is only good for beginner games where the artist is also the game designer.

Having one gigantic static model is difficult to update, can be slow to draw, and is difficult to use.

Generally you have both logical assets (the world and levels), and graphical assets (the stuff you see). Assets include trees, rocks, river segments, people, buildings or parts of buildings, cave walls, weapons, armor, treasures, and more. A level editor lets you place these objects, adjust terrain (assuming the ground isn't flat), assign scripts to the objects and locations, create portals from place to place, or otherwise work with the logic. The level editor could also benefit from using the artwork assets, but doesn't necessarily have to.

In the game, the player is a logical object running around among other logical objects. A separate part of logic is devoted to keeping the scene graph current relative to the logic, and another handles drawing instances of objects on the screen, selecting the proper shaders, sorting the rendering, etc.
Quote:
I know how PVS and Portal work, but i dont know how to create it from 3DSMax model.

See above. Graphic models should be separate from the logical world.
Quote:
Does commercial game must have own level editor. Could i use 3DSMax or Maya or XSI or etc be my level editor ?

You can write extensive MEL scripts for level editing, if you are brave. I'm not sure about 3DS or other tools. It's generally easier and better to use chunks of code from your game or even an in-game level editor, since that lets you see how it's going to look when it's finished.

frob.