• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ttdeath

Funniest compile/link errors

This topic is 4618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've got many funny errors over the years, so I thought of creating a thread to wake up some engineers writing compilers about "usefull messages". Here goes one of my latest errors: Do you have anything funnier?

Advertisement
I have never got anything really funny (, or funny at all), the funniest I got was something like (from memory):

Fatal Error CXXXX: Compilation stopped due to too many errors.

Quote:
Original post by ttdeath
I've got many funny errors over the years,
so I thought of creating a thread to wake up
some engineers writing compilers about "usefull messages".

I'm not sure about "usefull". [wink]

I don't like any error message. I would describe these as annoying rather than funny.

ICE. I've seen them from Microsoft, Intel, Borland, and Metrowerks. They generally mean you get to spend a few hours diagnosing bugs in their code and hoping that either you can find a work-around, or that their people can find one when you contact them.

Internal Compliler Error. Contact somebody@vendor.com.

Another is the lack of error messages. It's even worse when there is no line number associated with them.

Error xxxx: Documentation Pending.
Error xxxx:
Error xxxx: Mike -- come up with a good description for this

frob.

Quote:

warning 0187: pointless comparison of unsigned integer with zero

I think it's funny when the compiler calls your code "pointless".

Quote:
Original post by CTar
I have never got anything really funny (, or funny at all), the funniest I got was something like (from memory):

Fatal Error CXXXX: Compilation stopped due to too many errors.

I got something similar when I was working with Dev-C++. It told me to "please fix your code, there are too many errors".

It made me sad...

I once accidently tried to compile an unfinished template meta-program in DevC++, and after >500 errors about the same line of code it finally came to rest with:
"There is something dreadfully wrong with your code, please fix it."

With g++ 2.9x, I was once able to get the dreaded "Confused by earlier errors; bailing out" as the first and only reported error.

You might also enjoy these, from the MPW (Macintosh Programmers' Workshop) C compiler.

I got the following from VC++ a couple months ago:

Quote:

'!' : illegal on operands of type 'bool'

Apparently my whole knowledge of C++ programming is wrong!

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
With g++ 2.9x, I was once able to get the dreaded "Confused by earlier errors; bailing out" as the first and only reported error.

You might also enjoy these, from the MPW (Macintosh Programmers' Workshop) C compiler.

Those are hillarious.

I got a System.ExecutionEngineException once and the first sentance of the remarks in the documentation said "Execution engine errors are fatal errors that should never occur". I had to restart the entire project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!