Funniest compile/link errors

Started by
20 comments, last by ttdeath 18 years, 4 months ago
@frob, lack of error messages, or errors in my code worries me most :)

My very first funnny error was back on the time of Spectrum Z80 computers.
I've got an "Unknown DOS command", and DOS wasn't even invented yet :))
Advertisement
At work, we tend to send around screenshots of a strange error messages whenever we encounter one.
This is my last one:

I once got an error:
"WTF? Are you kidding? I'm not even gonna look at this!"

And maybe i just made it up. :P
This is the most obscure error I think I've ever seen:

A reference that is not to 'const' cannot be bound to a non-lvalue

With so many negatives I had a hard time deciding if this was actually a sentence.
--------------------------------------------------Never tempt fate, fate has no willpower.
Quote:Original post by ttdeath

My very first funnny error was back on the time of Spectrum Z80 computers.

Those where the days....

Remember B - Integer out of range.

Technically not a compiler error but an interpreter error but hey
lovely! i remember some of those. the apple ones definitely ROCK big time!
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Here are some I got w/ vs6 (latest sp):

Quote:
c:\nonstopaction\nsa\chuman.cpp(79) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
(compiler file 'YÃ', line 1)
Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

no sourcecode aviable, but restarting the compiler helped.

-----

Quote:
main.cpp
D:\dev\game\bkgamewin\main.cpp(372) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1794)
Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
Error executing cl.exe.

main.obj - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

SpriteManager::SpriteManager(IdentifierGenerator& p_identifierGenerator,                             ImageManager& p_imageManager)	: m_identifierGenerator(p_identifierGenerator),	m_imageManager(p_imageManager){}SpriteManager::~SpriteManager  // line 372// adding a { fixed the internal compiler error :)}void SpriteManager::clear() {}
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
Quote:
warning 0187: pointless comparison of unsigned integer with zero

I think it's funny when the compiler calls your code "pointless".

No. It's Humiliating!
;)

I got a really wierd one trying to compile this code:

Windows '98 source code./*TOP SECRET Microsoft(c) CodeProject: Chicago(tm)Projected release-date: Summer 1994*/#include "win31.h"#include "win95.h"#include "evenmore.h"#include "oldstuff.h"#include "billrulz.h"#define INSTALL = HARDchar make_prog_look_big[1600000];void main()while(!CRASHED)display_copyright_message();display_bill_rules_message();do_nothing_loop();if (first_time_installation)make_50_megabyte_swapfile();do_nothing_loop();totally_screw_up_HPFS_file_system();search_and_destroy_the_rest_of_OS/2();hang_system();}write_something(anything);display_copyright_message();do_nothing_loop();do_some_stuff();if (still_not_crashed)display_copyright_message();do_nothing_loop();basically_run_windows_3.1();do_nothing_loop();do_nothing_loop();}}if (detect_cache())disable_cache();if (fast_cpu())set_wait_states(lots);set_mouse(speed, very_slow);set_mouse(action, jumpy);set_mouse(reaction, sometimes);}/* printf("Welcome to Windows 3.11"); *//* printf("Welcome to Windows 95"); */printf("Welcome to Windows 98");if (system_ok())crash(to_dos_prompt);elsesystem_memory = open("a:\swp0001.swp", O_CREATE);while(something)sleep(5);get_user_input();sleep(5);act_on_user_input();sleep(5);}create_general_protection_fault(); 

Here's the error code:

main.cpp
C:\WINDOWSHACKED\main.cpp(ALL) : fatal error BILLGATESPWNSALL: STOP DECOMPILING OUR CODE
Error executing cl.exe.

main.obj - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
I remember getting the MPW C error about your window not being wide enough, and spreading the Worksheet across my dual 20" CRT monitors just to spite it ;-) Yeah, those were the olden days, when the Mac was almost alone in having a usable GUI and multi-monitor support.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement