Funniest compile/link errors

Started by
20 comments, last by ttdeath 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I've got many funny errors over the years, so I thought of creating a thread to wake up some engineers writing compilers about "usefull messages". Here goes one of my latest errors: Do you have anything funnier?
Advertisement
I have never got anything really funny (, or funny at all), the funniest I got was something like (from memory):

Fatal Error CXXXX: Compilation stopped due to too many errors.
Quote:Original post by ttdeath
I've got many funny errors over the years,
so I thought of creating a thread to wake up
some engineers writing compilers about "usefull messages".

I'm not sure about "usefull". [wink]

I don't like any error message. I would describe these as annoying rather than funny.

ICE. I've seen them from Microsoft, Intel, Borland, and Metrowerks. They generally mean you get to spend a few hours diagnosing bugs in their code and hoping that either you can find a work-around, or that their people can find one when you contact them.

Internal Compliler Error. Contact somebody@vendor.com.

Another is the lack of error messages. It's even worse when there is no line number associated with them.

Error xxxx: Documentation Pending.
Error xxxx:
Error xxxx: Mike -- come up with a good description for this

frob.
Quote:
warning 0187: pointless comparison of unsigned integer with zero

I think it's funny when the compiler calls your code "pointless".
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by CTar
I have never got anything really funny (, or funny at all), the funniest I got was something like (from memory):

Fatal Error CXXXX: Compilation stopped due to too many errors.

I got something similar when I was working with Dev-C++. It told me to "please fix your code, there are too many errors".

It made me sad...

-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
I once accidently tried to compile an unfinished template meta-program in DevC++, and after >500 errors about the same line of code it finally came to rest with:
"There is something dreadfully wrong with your code, please fix it."
With g++ 2.9x, I was once able to get the dreaded "Confused by earlier errors; bailing out" as the first and only reported error.

You might also enjoy these, from the MPW (Macintosh Programmers' Workshop) C compiler.
I got the following from VC++ a couple months ago:

Quote:
'!' : illegal on operands of type 'bool'

Apparently my whole knowledge of C++ programming is wrong!
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
With g++ 2.9x, I was once able to get the dreaded "Confused by earlier errors; bailing out" as the first and only reported error.

You might also enjoy these, from the MPW (Macintosh Programmers' Workshop) C compiler.

Those are hillarious.
I got a System.ExecutionEngineException once and the first sentance of the remarks in the documentation said "Execution engine errors are fatal errors that should never occur". I had to restart the entire project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement