• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Weird D3D9 Problem regarding renderering frequency

This topic is 4439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya all, I am getting this weird D3D9 problem. In my engine loop I call BeginScene(), render whatever I need to and then call EndScene() and Present(). Ok kewl, problem is first time I start my application...runs perfectly. Start it up a second time and nothing? It doesn't render anything at all! Rendering calls dont fail, it initialises properly...but the window is blank. Not even the back buffer gets cleared. So I go and add a Sleep() timer to this loop for e.g 100ms and it runs perfectly everytime. Does D3D9 have a problem with too high a frame rate? It seems if I limit FPS it will work fine everytime it is run. I make sure I release all my buffers/interfaces so that cannot be the problem, I think. Thanks

Advertisement
I can't think of any particularly common reason for what you describe. Two obvious things to check:

1. Any debug output? Turn on the debug runtimes and ramp up to maximum [smile]

2. Run it against the reference rasterizer

If #1 produces any warnings (either on the first run, or the subsequent flawed runs) then make sure you fix them. I have had some dodgy drivers that really got confused with memory leaks. If a D3D application had any memory leaks then the drivers needed to be restarted before any other D3D apps would work properly again...

If #2 yields better/correct results then you might well want to investigate the hardware/driver combination you're using. Where possible check your software on a different configuration.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement