Where do i get a free cvs account, space?

Started by
16 comments, last by evolutional 18 years, 4 months ago
I've used a local cvs server briefly (about a month) with tortoiseCVS... never tried svn but it's at least just as good a solution. Right now I'm using perforce, and, with the exception of one program (adobe golive cs2 - advertises support, but the support is bs and breaks your sites, and creates a mess of your repository) - I'm really liking it. It's incorporation into windows explorer, and it's stand-alone tools are much nicer than tortoisecvs. Setting up tools for use with visual c++ express is a snap (pm me if you need help), and I'm even looking into a possible way to make it even more automated.... by the way: used tortoise cvs on xp pro, hardly a hitch in setup or usage... using perforce in xp pro and linux.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
Quote:Original post by Jonus
The client runs on Win9x/Me but the server does not, see the FAQ.

Well, yes, but your question was about XP and not ME or 9x :D
D'oh.

Well after it was recommended here i installed it anyways. :)

Now i just have to skim through the help on how to start.
You don't need the server to use local repositories with TortoiseSVN, you can just use TortoiseSVN to generate and manage the repositories without the server.
I used cvsnt on Windows 2000 for a while, its good, but later I just took my old computer and turned it into a Linux Box, so I use CVS there, plus it is a good idea to keep the repositories on a different computer than the one you develop on, you know, in case the HD dies or something.
You could take a look at freepository which offers 150MB of server space running CVS. All you need to do is register, setup a repository (limited to creating one per person although you can join many others) then get yourself a CVS client like TortoiseCVS. At least this way it saves you having to try and set up a local server which speaking from personal experience can be awkward.
Ok i played arround with svn now and i just love it. Although i dunno if i grasped every feature. Thanks all.
If you submit your project to SourceForge and they accept it, they give you 100MB for a website along with a throng of security and a CVS account. My recommendation though, would be to take a look at OpenSVN. They provide free SVN accounts on their server with a nice project management tool and user account management. Very, very nice. Good luck with your project.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I believe that CVSDude will host free SVN and CVS repos for open-source projects.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement