D3DXComputeTangent problems with mesh

Started by
3 comments, last by shaqdx 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I am having annoying problems when rendering the tangent of a mesh. I can render the normals on its own just fine with D3DXComputeNormals(), but when rendering the tangent on it's own, I get a black colour covering the whole mesh. This happens with any mesh. I have tried D3DXComputeTangentFrame(), and the same problem occurs. Anyone know what the problem might be? Here is some code I have.

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 elements[] =
{
{ 0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0 },
{ 0, 12, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 0 },
{ 0, 20, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL, 0 },
{ 0, 32, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TANGENT, 0 },	
D3DDECL_END()
};

LPD3DXMESH temp;

m_pMesh->CloneMesh( D3DXMESH_MANAGED, elements, pd3dDevice, &temp ); 

m_pMesh->Release();
m_pMesh = temp;

if(FAILED(D3DXComputeNormals(m_pMesh, NULL)))
	return E_FAIL;

if(FAILED(D3DXComputeTangent(m_pMesh, 0, 0, 0, TRUE, NULL)))
	return E_FAIL;

Thanks. [Edited by - Muhammad Haggag on November 27, 2005 7:52:50 AM]
Advertisement
The size of your Vertex Declaration is a bit off, you might want to try something looking like this as D3DXComputeTangentFrame() returns position, normal, texture coordinates, tangents and binormals.

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 elements[] ={	{ 0, sizeof( float ) * 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0 },	{ 0, sizeof( float ) * 3, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL, 0 },	{ 0, sizeof( float ) * 6, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD, 0 },	{ 0, sizeof( float ) * 12, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_TANGENT, 0 },	{ 0, sizeof( float ) * 15, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_BINORMAL, 0 },	D3DDECL_END()};LPD3DXMESH temp;if ( FAILED( pMesh->CloneMesh( D3DXMESH_MANAGED, elements, pDevice, &temp ) ) ){	pMesh = NULL;	return;}pMesh->Release();pMesh = temp;D3DXComputeTangentFrame(pMesh, 0);

I hope this helps.
Take care.
I tried that, but I am still getting a black mesh. I don't understand why the normals would work but not the tangents.

In my shader, I have a "float4 POSITION" and "float2 TEXCOORD" that relates to the position and texture coordinates of the mesh, BUT in the vertex declaration as replied, the POSITION and TEXCOORD are both float3. Could this be a reason why the tangent isn't rendering. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for any help.
use D3DXcomputetangentframeEX.
that way you can describe your inputs and outputs exactly
to your descriptor.
and turn debugging on. youll work it out, its piece of piss
unless you havent figured it out already.
Hi,

I used D3DXComputeTangentFrameEx() and I am still not getting the correct results, although when debugging I do the get the folllowing message.

"D3DX: D3DXComputeTangentFrame: Unable to create consistent tangent frames in this mesh without splitting vertices."

Anyone know what I can try. I'm sure I've almost got it working.

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement