java start up help?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rancorb 18 years, 4 months ago
after recently posting about suggestions for help with a programming ceareer, i started learning java at home, but the book i am reading from, it tells me to use a version of java that i have to compile and run, by using the command prompt (im using winXP which imo sucks ass), following the instructions in the book (Start programming with java, For dummies) it tells me to run with the command prompt, which, well doesnt work... it refuses to even let me info files (the way i would type it in DOS commands)... any way, since i cannot get this to work, and personaly i dont like this way of running and compling.. is there any good complier programs with highlighted syntax. (i am confused with the java sun website with so many diferent types of java, this is the reason for this stupid question) i am just learning the basic java structure and functions (i have previous experance of programming so i know how the structure works, just learning the java commands) any one point me in the right direction? thanks
Advertisement
Here, this link will bring you to the download you need, it has jdk 5.0 (the thing you need to make java programs) and Netbeans the ide (compiler program). They come bundled together with the top download link on that page.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download-netbeans.html
thanks, i find the java sun site VERY confusing.. just gotta wait the whole 6-7hours its gonna take to download now lol
What aspect of running the command prompt are you having trouble with?

Start -> Run -> "cmd" <Enter>
Eclipse is a very good free IDE:

Eclipse Downloads page

You just have to tell it where you've installed java and it will sort the rest out for you. Also has a good debugger, highlighted syntax, automatic completion, javadoc support and many other features.

Good luck.

Tim Cooper - software developer, project manager and occasional iOS app developer.

Creative Shadows Ltd - My hobby company website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement