Sign in to follow this  
pulpfist

Compilers

Since I started programming I have used Borlands tools. I have always managed to compile DirectX projects (with a few typedefs to get rid of errors) all the way up to version 9. I have other alternatives like Microsoft Visual Studio (I think it is version 6.x), and Visual Studio .NET (Im not sure what version it is but it is +-3 years old) In the past, all I would hear was things like "Borlands tools seems more robust than MS tools" and things like that, so I though I was doing good. What I look for is the "best" compiler. When it comes to the IDE Im fine with both even though I am used to Borland's which is simpler. I aslo have the C++ Builder RAD from Borland (using OMF format) Is there an alternative RAD for C++, more compatible with MS's products, or would I be best off converting OMF to COFF? (Not sure this is even possible) And how is the "time limited" MS 2003 version everyone is talking about, compared to my .NET package (I would normally just install the C++ related parts of the package) Is there any other reasons why I should change to MS?

There is no time limited version of MSVC 2003. There is a download of MSVC .NET 2005 Express Edition that is available for free for the next year, which comes with Windows Forms, which will produce Windows applications in a manner similar to the C++ Builder VCL except targetted for the .NET environment. The MSVC .NET 2005 toolset has very robust debugging and development tools including profile guided optimizations, which is *very* nice.

Yes I should have defined "best" sorry
Quote:

when you can compile a c++ program in mingw32 you can be sure it will compile with GCC on linux

Does that mean it is more ANSI compliant?
I would consider ANSI compliance to be more important for me in that trade-off scenario.

#define best (robust, and does things simple)
Im not sure I will ever need it but a good inline assembler is nice to have aswell.

On second thought I should probably be more worried about things like robust debuggers and helper tools.

Infact Im trying to dig up the link to MSVC .NET 2005 Express Edition right now...

thanks for all replies