Wings 3d is driving me nuts, please someone help

Started by
2 comments, last by zer0wolf 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm new at both cg arts and this forum, but I had to ask for help. I'm going batty with this! My problem is this, I built a model in wings 3d, it's simple, but I wanted it to have it made from different materials etc. However, I built it from basically one primitive shape. I imported it into Bryce, but it's only able to select as one solid object, which makes sense I guess. Anyway, is there any way to break apart an object in Wings? Like I said, I made it all from one shape, so is there any way to select portions of it, group them, but have them become seperate from the whole? I tried this once before and did it by grouping sections and exporting those sections one at a time into bryce and then piecing it together, but for some reason, with this one, it is completely out of sync, pieces are in every direction and every height. I tried sitting there and just lining them up but it was taking forever and not working, so I was wondering what I was doing wrong and how I would fix it, save going back and redoing the entire thing. Here's a picture if that helps at all. The colors represent the different groupings. Someone ppllleeaaesee help me, I spent 4 hours getting no where just trying to get it to fit together.
Advertisement
Wings3D lets you go into a "faces" mode and select them, right? If this is the case then explode the object and re-combine them by selecting the faces and then grouping.

I'm more experienced with Maya, where you can just do the texturing inside of the modeling program. Won't Wings3D let you do that?

Edit: I'm downloading Wings3D and I'll experiment with it. Why don't you post up your model?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Here's the model

http://xthost.info/kabukibear2/vault.wings

If that helps. I actually have maya 6 buuuttt I was so confused by it ( I have zero experience with this stuff) that i just took it off.
Wings3D is certainly a neat program since it is free, but Maya has so many more features than it that it isn't even funny. I would recommend opening Maya back up, clicking on "Help", and running through the included tutorials. They'll have you up and going in no time.

That being said, I'll still take a gander at the problem tonight.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement