AAS based Pathfinding Engine

Started by
2 comments, last by Rasmadrak 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello: I'm trying to develop an AAS based Pathfinding Engine... Well, surely, you know about PathEngine, i want to make something like this, but using an 3D Areas World representation, something like de Quake III. Now, everything was ok, but now i have e problem, in Quake III are defined some Reachabilities (this reachabilities are predefined), and I need any help, any point of view on how can i define this reachabilities, with the posibilities that the user can define it's own reachabilities, accord with it's own game needs. For example, in a game with planes, you will need a Fly reachability (how you can define it), but if you are making a simple Shut'em Game, maybe you need Jump, Walk, Crouch rechabilities, but not Fly reachability. Thanx in advantage... "The best way to predict the future, is to invent it"
"The best way to predict the future, is to invent it"
Advertisement
Could you please post some more information about PathEngine?

Thanks,
-Zubair-
www.pathengine.com
I did a simple non-tile based pathfinding using nodes, and between two nodes there is a link... in this link the length to the node is saved, and one could easily store the proper way of reaching the node.. i.e Jump, fly and so on.

for instance, if an agent want to go to B from A, and the link says jump, this particular agent can´t go there.

on the other hand, his buddy Agent2, has the ability to jump so he can reach that point.

Does this make sense? I figure you already have a clear vision on this issue already, but I think that using a standard A*star, with nodes and links works really great for this kind of problem! :)

Cheers!

Edit:

you could always predefine such attributes, fly, crouch and whatnot.. then it's up to the game creator to set the rules what flying means and so on... the pathfinder shouldn't really bother with HOW the nodes are placed, it should simply follow the nodes. that's my opinion, since all games (more or less) are different and hoping that all developers will be using ONE standard is simple hoping too much... ;)
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement