Totally non-linear Platformer/RPG?

Started by
6 comments, last by Kest 18 years, 4 months ago
I had an idea for a non-linear RPG/platformer the other day. The way I see it, it is about as non-linear as such a game can get. You play as a knight sent to an old, decrepit castle, either to rescue a kidnapped girl, or sent on a mission to purge the evil from the castle. In any case, the castle is inhabited by a fairly large family of vampires, who very much resent the intrusion on their privacy. To make a long story short, in order to proceed to the final boss and end the game, the player must make enough cash (by killing monsters) to buy a key from a shop in the castle. The player can then proceed to the final battle. Defeating members of the vampire family, as well as exploring the castle, is entirely optional, but you gain levels, cash, and additional abilites by doing so. All bosses, esp. the final boss, change their stats/abilities depending on the players stats/abilities. In this way, the bosses would always be difficult, but not impossible (if the player is not strong enough) or overly easy (if the player is too strong). The price of the Final Key may also change with your level. You could, technically, defeat the game by defeating only two vampires (with a very disappointing ending), but the ending would be different depending on how long you spend in the castle, as well as how many vampires you defeat. What do you guys think? at this point, it seems like it might be kind of dumb to have a level 5 character defeat a boss more easily than a level 45 character (because of the variable stats/abilities), but other than that, I don't see a problem.
Advertisement
That doesn't sound very non-linear, you start and end in the same place, and all that changes is how long you spend in the middle part.
Sounds like a pretty keen idea all in all. Two beefs:
1) Variable stats based on levels. Not so much a beef, as, are you sure it will work?
2) I wouldn't make it so one can finish the game having defeated only two vampires - maybe this is why variable stats would be bad, because those who choose to build themselves up by fighting their way through the castle would experience pretty much no gain, unless you want to make it the kind of game where you're fighting for the best ending possible. When I saw this topic title I thought to myself "Oh, kind of like Metroid!" and I think requiring some equipment/abilities to further access to the castle and to other abilities would be better than allowing someone to walk straight through the game if desired.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
Maby you can force the player to defeat at least 10% or 20% of the bosses, and make many bosses, so the player have the choice which bosses to defeat, and that choice will change the ending (if he didn't defeated his friend who turned into a vampire, this friend will be cured in the end of the game and such).
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
_The Adventures of Robin Hood_ did this. It's non-linear and by improvising a little you can finish it in about two minutes. On the other hand you can play it for as long as you want and the world keeps changing. Check it out and see how many of your ideas have already been implemented there.

The game can be found on a popular site dealing with underdogs. I'm guessing the developers/publisher know about it being offered for free on the internet and since it's still there, on such a well-known site, I don't think they mind. But anyways, you'll have to find the site by yourself.
I just have to question the whole buy a key to get to the boss idea. Are you kidding me? If I was a evil lord I sure as hell would'nt sell a key in my home that would let the heroes enter my room so that they could slay me.

I hope I missread it.
Quote:Original post by Scanmaster_k
I just have to question the whole buy a key to get to the boss idea. Are you kidding me? If I was a evil lord I sure as hell would'nt sell a key in my home that would let the heroes enter my room so that they could slay me.

I hope I missread it.

Actually, that's correct.

I was thinking when you go to buy the key, the merchant (a mysterious hooded figure) at first tries to dissuade you, and, if you persist, he picks the key up off the table and then attacks you: He's one of the vampires.

So, it's not just a "buy a key and win" thing--"buying" the key triggers a boss battle.

And, yes, I was going to change the ending depending on how many/which vampires you defeat. So, you could plausibly win the game without leaving the castle's lobby, but you wouldn't get as good of an ending. Maybe you fight a different boss?

I love vampires, castles, and combat. But where does the platformer part come in? I may be mistaken, but I believe platformer refers to games where you, well, jump around. Or climb around. Games such as Prince of Persia.

In my opinion, there is no better (more fun) combination of genres than solid action and RPG elements. The problem with most of the wicked games that combine them is indeed the fact that they are linear. So if this is what you're trying to accomplish, it sounds very interesting to me. Otherwise, I'm drawing a lot of blanks.

But good luck to you, either way :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement