Legal IP Laws

Started by
6 comments, last by JohnBolton 18 years, 5 months ago
I am new to actually working in games dev and would just like to clarify some things I am currently doing "Work experience" for a company as a texture artist/ uvw mapper / level designer there is no contract between myself and the company regarding the work i am doing for them i have been here for 7 weeks already with the boos constantly saying he will hire me and then making excuses that remind me of the old "the dog ate my homework" talking about the lawyer the accountant etc what I want to know is if this all just turns out to be a scam to get free work from the work experience crew does the work I have done so far remain my intellectual property and am i free to tell him that hey may not use it for the Sony build or any other purpose.
Advertisement
Without a contract relinquishing rights it should remain your ip. Wether you can prove that it was you who made it - and wether you want to, considering the effort you'll have to make - is something else worth considering.
I suggest you send your resume to other companies in Perth.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
i would love to send my resume to other companys in Perth but we are kind of the back water of games dev in australia this company is pretty much the only one here :(
Quote:Original post by Pelegrin
i would love to send my resume to other companys in Perth but we are kind of the back water of games dev in australia this company is pretty much the only one here :(

If you are willing to relocate then I suggest you try Melbourne and Brisbane.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
I hope you'll use punctuation in your resume, because your post is damn hard to read.

Toolmaker

Are you being paid?

If so, then there would be an implied contract. If not, the company would still have to abide by certain rules and regulations (insurance, health and safety, etc.) Ask to see their certificate of employers liability insurance. Are they a limited or registered company? Are they registered for TAX? Just asking some of these questions may make the person concerned think you are not such a pushover.

(My knowledge of employment law is limited to the UK, so things may well be different for you, but should not be that different)

Get some legal advice. Do you have anything like the Citizen's Advice Bureau over there?
You need to make a decision. As long as you continue to work for nothing, you will not get paid. If you want money, you have to tell them that you will no longer work for nothing.

The work you have already done is irrelevant. It will cost you more to hire a lawyer than it is worth.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement