Sign in to follow this  
Alucardbsm

Where to start?

Alucardbsm    134
Hi, I have wanted to get into game devoplement for a few years now but was not sure where to start. Someone pointed me into the direction of C#. Having absolutly no knoweldge but a great interest in this field, I am wondering how exactly do I start. I have gone out and bought books on C#, but is C# the right direction to get where I want to go? Seeing as I know practically no C# code what should I do to best learn this code? Since I'm a newbie in the C# code, any insight would help me greatly. Thanks

Chadivision    130
I have never worked with C#, but I've read a little bit about it and it looks like a good language. You may still want to consider C++ instead simply because, for game design, it is currently the most common language. Most of the books that you buy and the tutorials that you download will use C++. If you run into trouble and post a question on the GameDev.net forums, more people will be able to help you with C++ than with C#. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash C#. It very well may be the next big thing, but as of right now, C++ is more widely used.

No matter what language you decide to use, make sure to start small. At first, don't worry about how to make a game. Just learn the language. Once you understand the programming language, start working through some game design tutorials.

Next, write some game-like demos, but not full games. Usually the best thing to do here is to get code from a tutorial or from the CD-ROM of a game design book. Compile it and run the demo, then study it to figure out how it works. When you start getting a pretty good idea of what's going on, start experimenting by modifying the code. You can learn a lot by messing around with someone else's code.

Finally, make sure to keep in mind that this is a slow process. There will be times when you're pulling your hair out, trying to figure out why your code is not working. Don't sweat it. It's just part of the process.

Good luck.