• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Joey_V

OpenGL Opengl with glut. Saving previous screen, and resizing correctly

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. Please help. I have been trying this for days, and I can't figure it out. I am creating a basic 2D application. The User can click on the screen and a box is displayed at the location of the mouse click. Problem 1: I can get the box to appear, but it is not saved. When I click again, the previous box disappears. I want whatever was on the screen before I clicked again, to be saved, and for the next box to be added to whatever was saved. But this is not happening. Problem 2: My resize does not work. Whenever I resize the screen, the whole display is messed up. Any help is greatly appreciated :) [Edited by - Joey_V on November 27, 2005 1:56:58 PM]

Advertisement
Well, you should be storing the squares you want to draw in a list, and draw them inside the display() function. You could just use a vector<pair<int, int> > to store the list of the positions of the squares (you might consider a struct for the square that includes its size instead of the pair).

Every time you detect a mouse click, you add a square to the list.

Hope that helps,
YUY0x7

Thanks gfaraj

I think I may have to do like you said, store all the values of every item on the screen, but I was hoping there was an easier way

Does anyone know if there a way to automatically store the contents of an opengl screen in a buffer of some sort, then just add something to it, update the screen and display it in its updated state?

Also, any help with my resize function, this is really troubling me

Guest Anonymous Poster
Don't use double buffering?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By McGrane
      Hey
      My laptop recently decided to die, so Ive been transferring my project to my work laptop just to get it up to date, and commit it. I was banging my head against the wall all day, as my textures where not displaying in my program- I was getting no errors and no indication of why it was occurring so I have been just trying to figure it out- I know the image loading was working ok, as im using image data elsewhere, I was pretty confident that the code was fine also, as ive never had an issue with displaying textures before, so I thought it might be the drivers on this laptop, (my old one was just using the built in IntelHD, while this laptop has a NVIDIA graphics card) but all seems to be up to date.
      Below are my basic shaders:
      Vertex Shader
      #version 330 core layout(location = 0) in vec3 position; layout(location = 1) in vec3 color; layout(location = 2) in vec3 normal; layout(location = 3) in vec2 texCoord; uniform mat4 Projection; uniform mat4 Model; out vec3 Color; out vec3 Normal; out vec2 TexCoord; void main() { gl_Position = Projection * Model * vec4( position, 1.0 ); Color = color; Normal = normal; TexCoord = vec2( texCoord.x, texCoord.y); } Fragment Shader
      #version 330 core in vec3 Color; in vec3 Normal; in vec2 TexCoord; uniform sampler2D textureData; void main() { vec4 textureColor = texture( textureData, TexCoord ); vec4 finalColor = textureColor * vec4( Color, 1.0f); gl_FragColor = finalColor; } Calling Code
      glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureID); glUniform1i(glGetUniformLocation(shaderID, "textureData"), textureID); Now this is the part i dont understand, I worked through my program, until I got to the above 'Calling Code'. This just displays a black texture.. my original issue. Out of desperation, I just tried changing the name in glGetUniformLocation from "textureData" to "textureData_invalid" to see if my error checks would through up something, but in actual fact, it is now displaying the texture as expected. Can anyone fathom a guess as too why this is occurring.. im assuming the random text is just picking up the correct location by c++ witchcraft, but why is the original one not getting picked up correctly and/or not working as expected
      I realize more code is probably needed to see how it all hangs together.. but it seems to come down to this as the issue
    • By QQemka
      Hello. So far i got decently looking 3d scene. I also managed to render a truetype font, on my way to implementing gui (windows, buttons and textboxes). There are several issues i am facing, would love to hear your feedback.
      1) I render text using atlas with VBO containing x/y/u/v of every digit in the atlas (calculated basing on x/y/z/width/height/xoffset/yoffset/xadvance data in binary .fnt format file, screenshot 1). I generated a Comic Sans MS with 32 size and times new roman with size 12 (screenshot 2 and 3). The first issue is the font looks horrible when rescaling. I guess it is because i am using fixed -1 to 1 screen space coords. This is where ortho matrix should be used, right?
      2) Rendering GUI. Situation is similar to above. I guess the widgets should NOT scale when scaling window, am i right? So what am i looking for is saying "this should be always in the middle, 200x200 size no matter the display window xy", and "this should stick to the bottom left corner". Is ortho matrix the cure for all such problems?
      3) The game is 3D but i have to go 2D to render static gui elements over the scene - and i want to do it properly! At the moment i am using matrix 3x3 for 2d transformations and vec3 for all kinds of coordinates. In shaders tho i technically still IS 3D. I have to set all 4 x y z w of the gl_Position while it would be much much more conventient to... just do the maths in 2d space. Can i achieve it somehow?
      4) Text again. I am kind of confused what is the reason of artifacts in Times New Roman font displaying (screenshot 1). I render from left to right, letter after letter. You can clearly see that letters on the right (so the ones rendered after ones on the left are covered by the previous one). I was toying around with blending options but no luck. I do not support kerning at the moment but that's definitely not the cause of error. The display of the small font looks dirty aliased too. I am knd of confused how to interpret the integer data and how should be scaled/adapted to the screen view. Is it just store the data as constant size and again - use ortho matrix?
      Thanks in advance for all your ideas and suggestions!
      https://i.imgur.com/4rd1VC3.png
      https://i.imgur.com/uHrSXfe.png
      https://i.imgur.com/xRTffPn.png
    • By plz717
      Hello, everyone! I hope my problem isn't too 'beginnerish'. I'm doing research on motion synthesis now, trying to implement the Deep Mimic paper (DeepMimic) by BINPENG XUE, in this paper, I need to first retarget character A's motion to another character B to make the reference motion clips for character B, since we don't have character B‘s reference motion. The most important thing is that in the paper, the author copied character A's joint's rotation with respective to joint's local coordinate system (not the parent) to character B. In my personal understanding, the joint's rotation with respective to joint's local coordinate system is something like that in the attached photo, where for the Elbow joint, i need to get the Elbow's rotation in the elbow's local coordinate system (i'm very grateful for you to share your ideas if i have misunderstanding about it 🙂)
      I have searched many materials on the internet about how to extract the local joint's information from FBX, the most relative one i found is the pivot rotation( and geometric transformation, object offset transformation). I'm a beginner in computer graphics, and i'm confused about whether the pivot rotation( or geometric transformation, object offset transformation) is exactly the joint's local rotation i'm seeking? I hope someone that have any ideas can help me, I'd be very grateful for any pointers in the right direction. Thanks in advance! 

• By nOoNEE
      hello guys , i have some questions  what does glLinkProgram  and  glBindAttribLocation do?  i searched but there wasnt any good resource 
    • By owenjr
      Hi, I'm a Multimedia Engineering student. I am about to finish my dergree and I'm already thinking about what topic to cover in my final college project.
      I'm interested in the procedural animation with c++ and OpenGL of creatures, something like a spider for example. Can someone tell me what are the issues I should investigate to carry it out? I understand that it has some dependence on artificial intelligence but I do not know to what extent. Can someone help me to find information about it? Thank you very much.

Examples: 
      - Procedural multi-legged walking animation
      - Procedural Locomotion of Multi-Legged Characters in Dynamic Environments
    • By Lewa
      So, i'm still on my quest to unterstanding the intricacies of HDR and implementing this into my engine. Currently i'm at the step to implementing tonemapping. I stumbled upon this blogposts:
      http://filmicworlds.com/blog/filmic-tonemapping-operators/
      http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2012/09/tech-feature-hdr-lightning.html
      and tried to implement some of those mentioned tonemapping methods into my postprocessing shader.
      The issue is that none of them creates the same results as shown in the blogpost which definitely has to do with the initial range in which the values are stored in the HDR buffer. For simplicity sake i store the values between 0 and 1 in the HDR buffer (ambient light is 0.3, directional light is 0.7)
      This is the tonemapping code:
      vec3 Uncharted2Tonemap(vec3 x) { float A = 0.15; float B = 0.50; float C = 0.10; float D = 0.20; float E = 0.02; float F = 0.30; return ((x*(A*x+C*B)+D*E)/(x*(A*x+B)+D*F))-E/F; } This is without the uncharted tonemapping:
      This is with the uncharted tonemapping:
      Which makes the image a lot darker.
      The shader code looks like this:
      void main() { vec3 color = texture2D(texture_diffuse, vTexcoord).rgb; color = Uncharted2Tonemap(color); //gamma correction (use only if not done in tonemapping code) color = gammaCorrection(color); outputF = vec4(color,1.0f); } Now, from my understanding is that tonemapping should bring the range down from HDR to 0-1.
      But the output of the tonemapping function heavily depends on the initial range of the values in the HDR buffer. (You can't expect to set the sun intensity the first time to 10 and the second time to 1000 and excpect the same result if you feed that into the tonemapper.) So i suppose that this also depends on the exposure which i have to implement?
      To check this i plotted the tonemapping curve:
      You can see that the curve goes only up to around to a value of 0.21 (while being fed a value of 1) and then basically flattens out. (which would explain why the image got darker.)

My guestion is: In what range should the values in the HDR buffer be which then get tonemapped? Do i have to bring them down to a range of 0-1 by multiplying with the exposure?
      For example, if i increase the values of the light by 10 (directional light would be 7 and ambient light 3) then i would need to divide HDR values by 10 in order to get a value range of 0-1 which then could be fed into the tonemapping curve. Is that correct?
    • By nOoNEE
      i am reading this book : link
      in the OpenGL Rendering Pipeline section there is a picture like this: link
      but the question is this i dont really understand why it is necessary to turn pixel data in to fragment and then fragment into pixel could please give me a source or a clear Explanation that why it is necessary ? thank you so mu

• By Inbar_xz
      I'm using the OPENGL with eclipse+JOGL.
      My goal is to create movement of the camera and the player.
      I create main class, which create some box in 3D and hold 
      an object of PlayerAxis.
      I create PlayerAxis class which hold the axis of the player.
      If we want to move the camera, then in the main class I call to 
      the func "cameraMove"(from PlayerAxis) and it update the player axis.
      That's work good.
      The problem start if I move the camera on 2 axis, 
      for example if I move with the camera right(that's on the y axis)
      and then down(on the x axis) -
      in some point the move front is not to the front anymore..
      In order to move to the front, I do
      player.playerMoving(0, 0, 1);
      And I learn that in order to keep the front move, 
      I need to convert (0, 0, 1) to the player axis, and then add this.
      I think I dont do the convert right.. 
      I will be glad for help!

Here is part of my PlayerAxis class:

//player coordinate float x[] = new float[3]; float y[] = new float[3]; float z[] = new float[3]; public PlayerAxis(float move_step, float angle_move) { x[0] = 1; y[1] = 1; z[2] = -1; step = move_step; angle = angle_move; setTransMatrix(); } public void cameraMoving(float angle_step, String axis) { float[] new_x = x; float[] new_y = y; float[] new_z = z; float alfa = angle_step * angle; switch(axis) { case "x": new_z = addVectors(multScalar(z, COS(alfa)), multScalar(y, SIN(alfa))); new_y = subVectors(multScalar(y, COS(alfa)), multScalar(z, SIN(alfa))); break; case "y": new_x = addVectors(multScalar(x, COS(alfa)), multScalar(z, SIN(alfa))); new_z = subVectors(multScalar(z, COS(alfa)), multScalar(x, SIN(alfa))); break; case "z": new_x = addVectors(multScalar(x, COS(alfa)), multScalar(y, SIN(alfa))); new_y = subVectors(multScalar(y, COS(alfa)), multScalar(x, SIN(alfa))); } x = new_x; y = new_y; z = new_z; normalization(); } public void playerMoving(float x_move, float y_move, float z_move) { float[] move = new float[3]; move[0] = x_move; move[1] = y_move; move[2] = z_move; setTransMatrix(); float[] trans_move = transVector(move); position[0] = position[0] + step*trans_move[0]; position[1] = position[1] + step*trans_move[1]; position[2] = position[2] + step*trans_move[2]; } public void setTransMatrix() { for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) { coordiTrans[0][i] = x[i]; coordiTrans[1][i] = y[i]; coordiTrans[2][i] = z[i]; } } public float[] transVector(float[] v) { return multiplyMatrixInVector(coordiTrans, v); }  
      and in the main class i have this:

public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e) { if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_ESCAPE) { System.exit(0); //player move } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_W) { //front //moveAmount[2] += -0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 0, 1); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_S) { //back //moveAmount[2] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 0, -1); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_A) { //left //moveAmount[0] += -0.1f; player.playerMoving(-1, 0, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_D) { //right //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(1, 0, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_E) { //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, 1, 0); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_Q) { //moveAmount[0] += 0.1f; player.playerMoving(0, -1, 0); //camera move } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_I) { //up player.cameraMoving(1, "x"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_K) { //down player.cameraMoving(-1, "x"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_L) { //right player.cameraMoving(-1, "y"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_J) { //left player.cameraMoving(1, "y"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_O) { //right round player.cameraMoving(-1, "z"); } else if (e.getKeyCode()== KeyEvent.VK_U) { //left round player.cameraMoving(1, "z"); } }  
      finallt found it.... i confused with the transformation matrix row and col. thanks anyway!
    • By Lewa
      So, i'm currently trying to implement an SSAO shader from THIS tutorial and i'm running into a few issues here.
      Now, this SSAO method requires view space positions and normals. I'm storing the normals in my deferred renderer in world-space so i had to do a conversion and reconstruct the position from the depth buffer.
      And something there goes horribly wrong (which has probably to do with worldspace to viewspace transformations).
      (here is the full shader source code if someone wants to take a look at it)
      Now, i suspect that the normals are the culprit.
      vec3 normal = ((uNormalViewMatrix*vec4(normalize(texture2D(sNormals, vTexcoord).rgb),1.0)).xyz); "sNormals" is a 2D texture which stores the normals in world space in a RGB FP16 buffer.
      Now i can't use the camera viewspace matrix to transform the normals into viewspace as the cameras position isn't set at (0,0,0), thus skewing the result.
      So what i did is to create a new viewmatrix specifically for this normal without the position at vec3(0,0,0);
      //"camera" is the camera which was used for rendering the normal buffer renderer.setUniform4m(ressources->shaderSSAO->getUniform("uNormalViewMatrix"), glmExt::createViewMatrix(glm::vec3(0,0,0),camera.getForward(),camera.getUp())//parameters are (position,forwardVector,upVector) ); Though i have the feeling this is the wrong approach. Is this right or is there a better/correct way of transforming a world space normal into viewspace?
    • By HawkDeath
      Hi,
      I'm trying mix two textures using own shader system, but I have a problem (I think) with uniforms.
      Code: https://github.com/HawkDeath/shader/tree/test
      To debug I use RenderDocs, but I did not receive good results. In the first attachment is my result, in the second attachment is what should be.
      PS. I base on this tutorial https://learnopengl.com/Getting-started/Textures.

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!