(Unofficial) QT IS A SOB!!!!

Started by
14 comments, last by odi 18 years, 4 months ago
source codes for programs using QT will be available.
but first i need to install it! :(
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Of course by using Qt for free, I hope you're planning on giving away all of the source code you link to it under the GPL, and post it on a web site so that everybody can download it *even if you plan on using whatever you do in-house*. You might as well give us read-only access to your hard drives.

You don't have to distribute any source code if you don't distribute the application, GPL or not.

OP: sorry I've never used Qt (free or not) on Windows with MSVC. Maybe should you join the qt-interest mailing list or rea d its archives? It's quite possible that someone has had the same problem before.

Hope this helps.
Quote:Original post by odi

One last question:
ok, I try to use this qConfigure from the patch form the windows console
but i keep getting the error :
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

You have not run vcvars32.bat
Quote:
(when i use the vs2005 console and its nmake - it doesn't recognize windows.h)
how can i do this?

Have you installed the platform SDK after you installed VS 2005?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

"Of course by using Qt for free, I hope you're planning on giving away all of the source code you link to it under the GPL, and post it on a web site so that everybody can download it *even if you plan on using whatever you do in-house*. You might as well give us read-only access to your hard drives.
"

Officialy the largest crock of crap I have ever read in my entire life. Sorry for being so blunt... GPL states you may not sell or distribute your program without making the full source code availiable to the general public. This means, in releases you need to either include the source code, or a link to a place where they can GET the source code (for free), or a method of getting the source code for free (covering no more then distribution costs).

If you use QT to only create programs in house, then the source code must be availiable to those who use the program (or a route for them to get it). Which should not be a problem since they are working for your company.

NOT ONLY THAT. But in reality you only need to include the source code to software that uses the associated licenses directly, and must include source or make availiable source to the modified version of that software. This means if you write a level editor using QT, release the level editor for free, with source, as well as the source to QT, and choose to not use QT in the game itself, you can safely sell the game and never release its source code. The source for the software (the level editor) would then have to be availiable to each person who purchases the product, and they in turn may expand or even release it for free.

EDIT: for sake of legal clarity, in the example above i would make the level editor availiable online aswell (with source). Of course, that can safely rely on content that requires the purchased program....
As dotproduct states the batch file will setup the correct PATH, LIB and INCLUDE environment variables for you. Or you can set them manually so that qconfigure finds the correct executables, libraries and include files.

e.g.
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\MSVS2005\bin
SET LIB=%LIB%;C:\MSVS2005\lib
SET INCLUDE=%INCLUDE%;C:\MSVS2005\include

You may also have to expand these to include the Qt directories as well - if you didn't select that option during the install.

PaulCesar - good to clear that up quickly :) unfortunately a common misconception.

Cheers,
dhm
Ok! thanks everybody [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement