• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sipickles

cannot convert from 'const wchar_t *' to 'wchar_t *' - boohoo!

This topic is 4592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My voyage thru strings and chars and wchar_ts continues.... but with some progress thanks to the persistance of GD.net members. My last(?) problem = cannot convert from 'const wchar_t *' to 'wchar_t *'! I am trying to get a char* derived from a std::wstring, like this: char* tempChar; const wchar_t* tempConstWide = g_IP.c_str(); wchar_t tempWide = const_cast< wchar_t* >tempConstWide; get an error tho: syntax error : identifier 'tempConstWide' If anyone wants to know WHY... ( ia m beginning to wonder ) ... then I am using a DXUT framework (which requires Unicode) with winsocks2, which is MBCS based all the way! My edit boxes outputs LPWCSTR (which I am storing as std::wstrings) and my winsock interface wants *&*%&*^ chars. Wheres the logic in that! Phew! Anyway, please help, before I shrivel up and disappear! Thanks! Simon

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Konfusius

wchar_t* tempWide = const_cast< wchar_t* >( tempConstWide );

Just remember that
wchar_t const *tempConstWide = L"my wide constant";
wchar_t* tempWide = const_cast< wchar_t* >( tempConstWide );
tempWide[5] = L'z'; // or anthing else that mutates tempWide

is not valid.

If you want a wide character buffer (one to be modified) use this instead:

std::vector< wchar_t > wide_buffer( size_of_buffer );
wchar * example = & wide_buffer[0];

Attempting to modify the contents of the string could:
1) Have no effect, if a roping implementation (buffer is discarded)
2) Modify multiple strings, if a copy on "write" implementation.

std::string/wstring return a const char for a reason, and that's to allow such implementation-specific optimizations as I've described above.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!