Where do they teach to draw using a pen tablet?

Started by
6 comments, last by igneous 18 years, 4 months ago
Good day to you all. I'm planning to get involved with game design after I finish high school. But for now as a start I want to learn how to draw using a pen tablet. Therefore I'm looking for a course oriented for beginners that suck at drtawing that I could take during the Christmas break. My parents are going away to some place far far away, and offered me to go wherever by myself. Any country which has an art school with such course (in english of course) would work. Any suggestions? Looking forward to any help. regards.
Advertisement
If you say you suck at drawing, then is drawing really the thing you want to get into? Often such things take talent - someone without talent can only be taught that much, and without talent a course often isn't by far as fun as a subject that you really enjoy and have done for years.

For example, I'm following a programmers course, but I've only programmed for 2 years or so. I'm getting along fine with the course, but I feel I'm still much better at level-design, which I've done for 5 years in my free time. I didn't take any courses for that, I just enjoyed doing it and became better the more time and research I invested in it.

What I mean to say is, if you really want to learn drawing, you could do now and here. Try out a few things, invest some time in it in your free time, search for others who do this and look at their work.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Hmm. What kind of drawing is it that you want to do? If you have the know-how (which is not the same as talent), a tablet is a great thing to have. If you do not, then it isn't a magic bullet that will make you great at drawing.

My point is that "drawing" is an awfully broad subject. If you can draw on paper, then the tablet is just another medium. It is not much easier than regular drawing. A corollary to this is of course that you should pick a course in drawing the _kind_ of drawings that you want to create (photorealistic portraits? product sketching? landscapes?), never mind if the medium is charcoal on paper or airbrushing or something entirely different.

But thats just me.
¨@_
I have done 3d landscape design for around 2 years in software programs like E-On Vue and WorldBuilder. Now I'd like to try doing the same on paper. Landscapes, levels, abstracts, anything along those likes is what I'd like to be able to draw. I also wouldn't mind learning how to model, design levels and animate in 3D.

That is the kind of things I'm interested in. I thought I wouldn't waste 2 whole chistmas holiday weeks for useless snowboarding and partying again and do some courses, but it turned out to be difficult to find such courses.
Original post by igneous
I have done 3d landscape design for around 2 years in software programs like E-On Vue and WorldBuilder. Now I'd like to try doing the same on paper. Landscapes, levels, abstracts, anything along those likes is what I'd like to be able to draw. I also wouldn't mind learning how to model, design levels and animate in 3D.

That is the kind of things I'm interested in. I thought I wouldn't waste 2 whole chistmas holiday weeks for useless snowboarding and partying again and do some courses, but it turned out to be difficult to find such courses.[/quote

The thing about most 3D creation is that it is vector and/vertex-based, and therefore highly suitable for doing with a mouse (This is a spur-of-the-moment realization, but it might be so that a mouse is great for accurate placement, while a pen tablet is great for accurate momement. But I digress.). Landscape painting, I would say, is something you should be able to find if not easily online at least at a education facility somewhere near you. More architectual drawing and design sketching will be harder to find unless you are enrolled in a program IRL, but there are some great resources on the web (or so I am told).

¨@_
I think a lot of the techniques and understanding of traditional drawing (pencil and paper) can be applied to a tablet. My suggestion is to enrol in a art class that teaches basic -> advanced pencil and paper techniques.

As with anything like this, practice, practice, practice and you will get good.
Drawing with a tablet it's the same thing as doing traditional drawing (pen/paper).

If you really want to draw I recommend you to learn traditional drawing. If you can draw on paper you can do it using a tablet.

I like to learn most things by myself from books so (if you are serious about drawing) I recommend you to buy the instructional DVDs from vilppu. http://www.vilppustudio.com/

I still can't believe there's no school dedicated to express design. For example, in Moscow there's a school called RealTime that has 7 day express courses in Houdini, After Effects, PhotoShop, ANIMO, LighWave, RenderMan, 3DS Max, Maya, Director MX, Flash MX and pen tablet painting course in Painter. Lessons start at 10 in the morning and finish at 10 in the evening. Students eat and sleep at the school. By using this technique a LOT can be learned and accomplished in 7 days. Too bad all the courses are full and there are no places left untill after Christmas.

Ironic thing is that in Moscow itself there are no high education computer design schools.

My point is, there surely must be something similar to RealTime elsewhere int he world?

[Edited by - igneous on November 28, 2005 1:42:30 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement