Sign in to follow this  
rapidarp

City Development

rapidarp    100
I've always wondered.....how do they make these cities for games like Grand Theft Auto? I know they use a modeling program (duh!) but how do they fit it all together? Do they make certain parts of the city and then a special program places them together in the game or do they just build one big city?

c0uchm0nster    182
they use a mapping program - just like those of fps games, and then they have the level in sections... i think they load the current section the player is in - as well as any adjacent sections (for distance visibility etc)... then once the player crosses over out of the current section, they unload the "border" sections behind the player, and load up a new set of sections in front... at least that's what i guess, seeing as how i haven't made any of the gta games ;)

Boruki    698
Having played around with a map editor for GTA:3, I found that you basically had a choice of how much of the map you wanted to view. This allowed you to slowly build up a complex map without having to suffer mapping with what can only be called an "uberlagging" interface. It isn't much different from creating maps for other games, you can do it by per-poly or by prefab items. Obviously this all depends on the editor :).