Sign in to follow this  
JDUK

Simple(i hope) pointer/2D array problem

JDUK    100
My problem is I have 3 arrays that reprisent the spread of light from a light source. Lights1[3][3] Lights1[5][5] Lights1[7][7] and i want to read through my lightmap, when i find a light i want to read through the applicable Lights array and draw the llighting effect to my tiles. Here is the code that works out which Lights array i need to start reeding.
int Brightness = Lights[x][y]; // Gets value form the lightmap, either 3,5, or 7
int (*lp)[Brightness];// Makes pointer to point at elements of the correct array
switch(Brightness) 
    {
       case 3: lp = Lights1; //point at the 1st element of the [3][3] array with a int[3] pointer
       break;
       case 5: lp = Lights2;//point at the 1st element of the [5][5] array with a int[5] pointer
       break;
       case 7: lp = Lights3; //point at the 1st element of the [7][7] array with a int[7] pointer
       break;
    }

I get that it doesnt like me declaring the pointer with with Brightness... but why an how should i resolve this. here are the compiler errors:
cannot convert `int[3][3]' to `int (*)[((unsigned int)((int)Brightness))]' in assignment 
cannot convert `int[5][5]' to `int (*)[((unsigned int)((int)Brightness))]' in assignment 
cannot convert `int[7][7]' to `int (*)[((unsigned int)((int)Brightness))]' in assignment 
I'm sure im missing somthing obvious... Thanks.

foo-bar-    122
you can always reserve the space using malloc:

int *lp = (int*)malloc(sizeof(int) * Brightness);

and then you can access lp as an array (using the index operators).