Qbasic Gorilas/Worms physics, 10 pound for grabes

Started by
21 comments, last by Metorical 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi I am doing a program in C++ and OpenGL. My program Is based on the old classic Qbasic Gorilas! This is basically a simple verson of worms! Basically you have two gorilas that throw a banana when the banana hits the gorila loses a life and the envirement changes. there is 10 building and each gorila is randomly placed on the building! I have done this bit! Then the player types in the angle and verlocity/strength/force they wish to throw the banana (this is all based in a 2d enviroment). I can't for the life of me work out the maths to get the banana to fall at a gravity of 9.81 and am not sure how vectors work is it just like a grapth (x,y). Am basically looking for some one to help me with the physics side! So when I type angle 60 and strength 100. Banana goes up arcs and hits or misses gorlia, I can do collistion ditection points and that just strugling on physics! Thanks for your help in advance! I would also be willing to give X person £10 to a paypal Account If they answer with in 3 hours of this post and I understand what they mean!
Advertisement
This is basic vector math.

A vector or point in 2d has two members, an x and a y value. So your banana will have a position point {x, y} and a velocity {vx, vy}. Your game world will excert an acceleration in the form of gravity {ax, ay}, whose value will be {0, -9.81}. With me so far?

Lets assume that your banana starts out at {0,0}. You are trying to throw it at 60 degrees up from horizontal, at 100 speed/strength. What we have to do is build a velocity vector from that information. This needs trigonmetry. Your x value will be strength*cos(angle) and y will use the sin, so the vector will be {100*cos(60), 100*sin(60)}

All this information adds together like this: each time interval the position will be updated by the velocity, and the velocity updated by the acceleration. So after 1 time interval, the banana will have:
Position: {100*cos(60), 100*sin(60)}
Velocity: {100*cos(60), 100*sin(60) - 9.81}
Acceleration: {0, -9.81}

And after 2 time intervals:
Position: {100*cos(60)+100*cos(60), 100*sin(60)+100*sin(60) - 9.81}
Velocity: {100*cos(60), 100*sin(60) - 9.81 - 9.81}
Acceleration: {0, -9.81}

I think that's right. Basically, you have to read up on trig and vectors.
Hi,

I understand so far and have that, If you can tell me what I to do this in real time do I just * it by my time?

This is what I have at the moment this is updated every frame what am I doing wrong?

//this is suppost to work out what angle the banana is at at each iteration
bananaX= strength * cos( angle );
bananaY= strength * sin( angle );

//this is suppose to add the gravity and wind accelaration on these angles
bananaX += wind;
bananaY += gravity;

//this adds the gorilas postion so the banana sets off from right place
bananaX += CurrentMonkey2CoX;
bananaY += CurrentMonkey2CoY;

I donno whats wrong I did the following

wind is a constant of 1 at moment not fused about that, I timesed my graphity by the seconds past and it just goes up and up now? :S

Thanks

Edit*
I will give you the money if you can explain to me the answer before the end of this hour, it's 6.21am here so 40mins! [Edited by - CodeBox on November 25, 2005 12:43:44 AM] If you so this then 1:30am.

[Edited by - CodeBox on November 25, 2005 12:43:28 AM]
I'll give the first person who can help me code this a fiver!!!!

:(

Not happy thought it would be easier then this!

Thanks
I'll try to help:

Quote:Original post by CodeBox
//this is suppost to work out what angle the banana is at at each iteration
bananaX= strength * cos( angle );
bananaY= strength * sin( angle );

Shouldn't this be

bananaX+= strength * cos( angle );
bananaY+= strength * sin( angle );

Quote:
//this is suppose to add the gravity and wind accelaration on these angles
bananaX += wind;
bananaY += gravity;

Edit: ok the acceleration code isn't going to work because those need to operate on your (strength, angle) vector and NOT directly on the banana's position. That is the problem here, my suggestion on how to fix it is below.

Quote:
//this adds the gorilas postion so the banana sets off from right place
bananaX += CurrentMonkey2CoX;
bananaY += CurrentMonkey2CoY;

This code should be:

bananaX = CurrentMonkey2CoX;
bananaY = CurrentMonkey2CoY;

except executed ONLY ONCE when the throw starts and not every frame. Good luck...
Try this. It is an excpet from my particle class.
void particle::gravMove(unsigned long tTime){		double currentTime, t;	t = (double)(1.0/1000);	currentTime = (double)((tTime - this->oldTime) * t);		this->oldX = this->x;	this->oldY = this->y;	this->x = this->x0 + ((this->velocity * cos(this->theta))* currentTime);	this->y = this->y0 + (((this->velocity * sin(this->theta))* currentTime) + (9.81 *(currentTime*currentTime))/2);				}

Theta is the angle that the particle was launched at.
Velocity can be related to strength in your case.
x0 and y0 are coordinates that the particle was launched from.
oldX, and oldY are the previous coordinates of the particle.
However you manager time in your game I am sure you can ada[t my time calculations pretty easily to it.

I hope that helps. And I don't want any money if it does.
Here is the easiest way I think to fix your code: don't operate with strength and angle directly. Just do this ONCE when the banana is thrown:
veloX = strength * cos(angle);veloY = strength * sin(angle);

Then
bananaX += veloX;bananaY += veloY;

and finally
veloY += gravity;veloX += wind;

I think that is easier.
I'll try to make this as simple as possible. I'm not sure that this is what your after, but it's my best guess.
//On fire:BananaPosX = GorillaPosX;BananaPosY = GorillaPosY;BananaVelX = cos(angle) * strength;BananaVelY = sin(angle) * strength;if (GorillaFacingLeft)    BananaVelX = -BananaVelX;//In game loop:t = timeSinceLastUpdate;BananaPosX += BananaVelX * t;BananaPosY += BananaVelY * t;BananaVelX += (windSpeed - BananaVelX) * t;BananaVelY -= 9.81 * t;//Check for collision.

EDIT: Improved wind formula

[Edited by - RAZORUNREAL on November 25, 2005 1:29:30 AM]
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Hi razo!

That seems to be working the only problem is I chuck it and about a second after the banana starts going down! It also shacks and only goes straight up depending on the angle it goes higher!

Can you see whats wrong?

.....double angleDouble=angle;
.....if (GotThrowTime1==false){
...........timeOfThrow=runTime;
...........bananaVelX = cos(angleDouble) * strength;
...........bananaVelY = sin(angleDouble) * strength;
...........if (Player_1_turn==true) {
...............bananaX = CurrentMonkey1CoX;
...............bananaY = CurrentMonkey1CoY;
...........} else {
...............bananaX = CurrentMonkey2CoX;
...............bananaY = CurrentMonkey2CoY;
...........}
...........GotThrowTime1=true;
......}

......double SecondsSinceThrow=(timeOfThrow-runTime)/100;
......double wind=0,gravity=9.81;

......bananaX += bananaVelX * SecondsSinceThrow;
......bananaY += bananaVelY * SecondsSinceThrow;
......bananaVelX += ((wind-bananaVelX) * SecondsSinceThrow);
......bananaVelY -= (gravity * SecondsSinceThrow);
......if (Player_2_turn=true){
..........bananaVelX = -bananaVelX;
......}

Coz am daft I called my gorilas monkeys because they look like monkeys not gorilas!

I noticed my bool had one = at bottom, it looks better now but only one problem it does not seem to be going in the right direction?

[Edited by - CodeBox on November 25, 2005 3:08:29 AM]
I can't understand it I type in:

angle=45;
strength=45;

the banana goes

.....................................ban
...................................ban
.................................ban
.............................ban
.......................ban
..............ban
.....ban

gone what the hell am I doing wrong?

By the way am starting banana at 0,0 so I can work out if it looks like its working or not!

Edit*
By the way I checked to see if I changed the angle to -180 each time but the banana does not slow down just speed up!

[Edited by - CodeBox on November 25, 2005 3:45:35 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement