Does Dev C++ do windows?

Started by
13 comments, last by Xpyder 18 years, 4 months ago
If you want to know how to go about finding which additional libraries you're linking in, then follow these images:

Click on the project button in the toolbar and then click on the project options button.

Click on the parameters tab, your additional libraries will be in the "Linker" box to the right (ignore -lopeng32l).

Good luck!
Advertisement
heh did you write the GameEngine class yourself? if then, do you have a seperate cpp file with the implementations, or are they all in there with the header file? cuz i think dev-CPP doesn't automatically recompile header files if changes are made to them, you would have to do make clean and makefrom scratch. Did you define the functions of GameEngine at all? if you didn't write the GameEngine class, then you probably just need to link to it in project options -> parameters -> linker and put like -lgameengine or whatever it is. (if something was called liba.a, youd put -la, if you didnt know how that worked.)
|aaap.penopticon.com| My website, including game projects. Collaboration/comments are welcome, please visit :)
Quote:Original post by KingSatchmo
Hello,
I've been programming in Dev-C++ in DOS for a couple of weeks, mostly doing problem solving programs, and have recently made the switch over to windows programming, specifically using "SAMS Teach yourself GAME PROGRAMMING in 24 Hours." Granted, not a smart choice on my part to try to learn windows programming through a game programming book, but its all I have available, and I did not feel like spending any more time on DOS. Plus learning how to program games is the step I would eventually like to end up at. But my problem is I keep having problems with Dev-C++ when trying to make very very very basic windows programs... like ones that just open a window. Whenever I use the examples in the CD, they work fine, so obviously Dev-C++ includes the windows.h library, but whenever I try to take out his code and stick in mine, it never works. I get errors like this:
Quote:[Linker error] undefined reference to `GameEngine::GameEngine(HINSTANCE__*, char*, char*, unsigned short, unsigned short, int, int)'

and
Quote:[Linker error] undefined reference to `TextOutA@20'

and I have no idea what these mean. By all accounts it should work, my GameEngine looks fine, all the headers and files are linking up right, but for some reason I always get that error.
While we are on the subject, is there a good article on basic windows programming on the internet that I could use before trying this game programming that is way over my head?

Just a completly random question, but is your project a Windows Project?

EDIT: By which I mean, you selected "Windows Project" when you started a new project, right?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I found my problem.... and how stupid I feel! I never actually made a project for my collection of files that I pulled together... </slaps himself> I guess I thought if they were in the same folder they would automatically connect... GAH I am some noob aye? Well I guess I will never make that mistake again...
While I am here, how do I get the icons in my folder to show up? The resource file is there and both the icons are in the folder and in the project but they still don't show up.
Specifically I am wondering what this code is in my game engine:
Quote:wndclass.hIcon = LoadIcon(m_hInstance,
MAKEINTRESOURCE(GetIcon()));
wndclass.hIconSm = LoadIcon(m_hInstance,
MAKEINTRESOURCE(GetSmallIcon()));

and this is what I have in my main file:
Quote:_pGame = new GameEngine(hInstance, TEXT("Practice"),
TEXT("Practice"), IDI_TRIPPY, IDI_TRIPPY_SM);

I am going to look this up in my book right now but I might as well get a second answer...

Thanks for all your help!
Yes it does do windows, but it makes it much harder compared to Visual.

You cannot have intellisense or a similar feature, to my knowledge ( a utility which helps you complete statements)

Also, Visual comes with a huge reference of material for windows.

Dev cannot handle .NET development as far as I know, however.
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement