[web] Multiple Internet Explorers for Linux

Started by
3 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 4 months ago
Thanks to a bunch of guys at the Ubuntu forums I have a great new resource: IEs4Linux This will install IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 in Linux. Very handy for webdesigners that need to check their websites in IE, yet use Linux (like me). I have let all three browsers loose on a bunch of examples and demo's over at Position is everything and they suffer from all the flaws and bugs they are supposed to do. One slight minor point: IE5 is actually IE5 and not IE5.01 so your IE5 specific conditional comments could behave a tad different. Just a headsup for you guys here [smile]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Advertisement
Cool though it is, it unfortunately doesn't alleviate the need to test on Windows.

If it's broken in IE6 on Linux, it's probably broken on Windows.

But if it works on IE6 on Linux, it still needs testing in win32 proper.

Mark
True. But with this you can develop the entire site on Linux and then check the final design on Win32/IE on a friends computer. There's no need to test all the development stages of your design in Win32/IE anymore. I've done some testing on various CSS IE bug demo's and I have not yet seen any differences between Linux/IE and Win32/IE.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

CSS is not the only thing you need to test in IE.

Some features don't work very well in IE6 on Linux. This includes downloads, integration with (for example PDF) external programs, uploads etc.

These need to be tested on real Windows, as they integrate with it.

Also, the performance on Linux is distinctly sluggish compared to "real" Windows - it's necessary to test on win32 to make sure it's not the site which has performance problems.

Mark
Those can all be tested under FireFox as well, unless you're building a site that's really targeted at IE users with IE only enhancements. In that case, you shouldn't be developing under Linux in the first place [smile].

<hr />

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement