• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ehsan2004

OpenGL checking the binding box with my transformations....

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I have used from the following transformations to move my environment: glRotatef( 360 - yrot, 0,1,0 ); glTranslatef( -xpos, -walkbias - 6.0f + beeHeight, -zpos ); In my environment, i have some points that should check their positions. So i have written a function to simulate the above OpenGL transformations: void PosConvertor(float x, float y, float z) { xx=(float)cos(( 360.0 - yrot )* piover180 ) * ( x-xpos) + (float)sin(( 360.0 - yrot )* piover180 )*(z -zpos ); yy=y- walkbias - 2; zz=-(float)sin( ( 360.0 - yrot )* piover180 )* (x -xpos ) + (float)cos( ( 360.0 - yrot )* piover180 ) * ( z -zpos ); } The function posConvertor is like the OpenGL transformations that i have used in my code. I can check the position of my objects with the function posConvertor. But now i want to create a binding box and check that if i'm inside this binding box. But now i don't know that how i should use from my posConvertor function to check the boundries of my binding box. Any suggestion? -Ehsan-

Advertisement
Hi there, firstly if u ever need to make sure that ur own Matrix class transforms the points correctly simple do all the transformations and render it.
[Source]
glLoadIdentity();
CVector3 TempX,TempY,TempZ;
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
// for all rendered points
PosConvert(tempx,tempy,tempz);
glVertex3f(tempx,tempy,tempz);
glEnd();
[/Source]

Now im assuming from what you talk about that the object you want to check which should be in the bounding box is you/the camera.

Lets say we have a bounding box minx,miny,minz,maxx,maxy,maxz, now we define this bounding box like any other bounding box, and checking if a point is inside the bounding box is simple.

If (point >= min) && (point <= max) return INSIDE;

Now ur program did not state so, and thus i am assuming that the following transformations are Camera Transformations!
[Source]
glRotatef( 360 - yrot, 0,1,0 );
glTranslatef( -xpos, -walkbias - 6.0f + beeHeight, -zpos );
[/Source]

What i mean is they have no relevance to the Game Mechanics, which means you simple need to check zpos,xpos,ypos against your bounding box.

However if your transformations are part of the Game Mechanics for example a rotating platform (like they have in quake) , then i suggest you look into matrices firstly and then you will need advanced Collision Detection like Axis Orientated Bounding Boxes, or Simple check a bounding box (AABB or OBB) by using the 6 planes.

If you need a small matrix class that can do all this if you want it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!